5 Ways That Make It Easier To Stick To Your New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Yeah, it’s tough. We make the same, or different, resolutions each year and by February…POOF. It’s like they never even existed. So how exactly do you keep those resolutions? Well, here are a few tips for you to go by when making that list on December 31st.

1. Keep them attainable: don’t make these crazy resolutions that seem impossible when you’re making them. You most likely (although this doesn’t apply to everyone) wont make it 365 days.

2. Create steps: say someone makes a goal to lose 25 pounds in the new year. That’s awesome, and props to you for trying to live a healthier lifestyle. BUT…going from not working out at all to trying to work out every single day is NOT going to work. After a few weeks you’ll get tired, skip a few days, and never see the inside of a gym again. Slowly introduce your new plan into your life. Gym 3 times a week, cutting certain foods and in time tables that seem fit for you. Example: lose 5 pounds by March 1st, cut soda out by May 1st, etc…

3. Grab a buddy: it’s a lot easier to follow through when you have someone to do it with. Someone to push you into doing the thing that you’re trying your hardest to do. Say it’s a fear…of flying, maybe. Find someone who loves to fly. It will be easier for you to get on that plane if you have someone by your side who has done it before or is willing to help you get to the place you want to be.

4. Stay away from Debby Downers: there’s always going to be that person who just loves to bring you down or criticize you. Your goals might seem stupid to them or just not make sense, and they will most likely convince you to give up on them. DON’T GIVE UP. And that person should make a resolution to be a better friend, if you ask me…

5. Don’t make resolutions: our lives, everyone’s lives, are fairly spontaneous. Not in the way that we’d always like and sometimes the thrill of having to adjust is enough. We all face adversity in some way or another and we may want to try and change. But think before you make those resolutions. Is it something that will truly make you happy? Is it something that’s necessary? Is it for YOU?

With that said, good luck to you all. And may the odds be ever in your favor.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.