13 Going on 30: Why Children Can’t Act Their Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In a world saturated with media influence, the question of why children seem to grow up faster than previous generations becomes increasingly pertinent. From high school TV shows glamorizing drinking, drugs and violence to alarming statistics on youth alcohol consumption, it’s evident that external factors play a significant role in shaping the behavior of today’s children.

According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) in 2022, approximately 19.7% of youth ages 14 to 15 reported having at least one drink in their lifetime. Shockingly, 5.8 million youths ages 12 to 20 reported drinking alcohol beyond “just a few sips” in the past month. Experimentation with alcohol during the teen years is prevalent, driven by curiosity, the desire to feel good or fit in and the aspiration to feel older.

One prominent contributor to this premature maturation is the media. High school TV shows and video games often depict risky behaviors as cool and exciting. Characters engaging in drinking, drug use and smoking are portrayed as attractive, leading children and teens to emulate these behaviors. Studies show that exposure to such content increases the likelihood of early engagement in high-risk activities.

The movie Thirteen serves as a stark portrayal of this issue, depicting tween girls engaging in adult activities such as drugs, sex and drinking. The film highlights the disconnect between the tween brain’s limited capacity to comprehend consequences and the allure of acting older. The attention received further reinforces the inclination to dress and behave provocatively, perpetuating a cycle of intelligent behavior.

Tweens today also face the challenge of dressing as if they are older, influenced by marketers and manufacturers. The clothing in stores targeted at tweens often mimics adult selections in miniature sizes, promoting a premature transition into adulthood. Marketers argue that they are meeting demand, but the need for alternatives leaves tweens with little choice. The fear of social exclusion drives them to adopt the latest trends, even if it means acting beyond their years.

Parents and society must recognize that children mature differently and at their own pace. Pressuring them to conform to societal expectations can adversely affect their development. While today’s children may encounter sexual images and videos at a younger age, it is essential to provide a healthy upbringing that allows them to navigate these challenges and develop at their own pace.

In conclusion, children acting beyond their years is a complex issue shaped by societal pressures, media influence, and a lack of age-appropriate alternatives. To address this, parents, educators and society must foster an environment that encourages healthy development and respects the uniqueness of each child’s journey into adulthood.

Talia is a journalism student at WVU who enjoys writing about Fashion, Pop Culture, and Beauty trends.