This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

College can be an incredibly social environment. My first week here, I met so many people. It was great, but also overwhelming. As an introvert, I get easily drained when I’m constantly around big groups, and college proved that. I started to feel incredibly tired and sometimes would get snappy when people would impulsively want to hang out. I am the type of person who loves to have their day mapped out. What I needed was personal time.  

I need to have alone time to function, and through that, I have discovered that I love to do so. This semester, I have grown to be more involved around campus and that has resulted in me spending more time away from my dorm. I often schedule time to sit in cafes, libraries, and the CUB. I love my packed schedule since I can walk around campus after most classes end. It’s incredibly empty, peaceful, and perfect for me to think. Last semester, when I had a more relaxed schedule, I took time to take morning runs so I could start my day fresh and energized.  

Sometimes taking time to ourselves isn’t always optional, though. Maybe our friends have different lunchtimes than us, or we have a few free hours while other people we know are in class. Though that is frustrating, it is also the perfect opportunity to take time for yourself. One thing I love doing when I have time is reading. Whether it is time to catch up for class, or you pick up a book and read it for fun, it can be a great hobby to fill those awkward moments.  

Alone time is also the perfect opportunity to pick up other new hobbies. Maybe you have always wanted to learn a new instrument, and this is your chance to try it. Maybe you like writing, but you’ve always felt like you’ve never had time. Perhaps you once really loved drawing or crafting, but you lost touch with that when you went to college. College doesn’t have to be an all-social sort of time. Sometimes it is a place where you can find yourself. College is full of a multitude of resources, clubs, and classes, and you should take advantage of that! Taking time to yourself can be far more of a blessing than a curse.  

Rebecca Lommers is a writer for Her Campus Washington State University Chapter. She also is a non-fiction intern at Blood Orange Review, and in the past, she has worked at the Yakima Herald Republic as a journalist for the high school division of the paper. She also has worked in retail at a thrift store. Rebecca is a current sophomore at WSU, and she is working towards a degree in English with a focus in Creative Writing and a certificate in Editing and Publishing. After graduating, she hopes to become an author or work in publishing as an editor or agent. In her free time, Rebecca likes to write, read, and watch video essays on YouTube. She is very passionate about music, and she plays piano and guitar. She is currently working on writing a novel that she hopes to one day publish.