bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health: Why You Should Seek Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

Ever since the first time I sought out help for my mental health, I haven’t hesitated to do so, but I know that isn’t the way it goes for everyone.

I will always be an advocate for taking care of yourself, which means taking responsibility for your mental and physical health. For some people, this means seeking out help from a doctor. Doing so can be intimidating, and terrifying.

It never was for me, but that is likely because my parents have seen counselors and I have always been encouraged to do so as well if I find myself struggling.

Being comfortable with uncertainty is difficult. Not knowing what the appointment will be like, whether you’ll hit it off with the person you meet with, whether the diagnosis will be what you expected, whether the coping strategies that are presented will work for you, or whether everything will go wrong.

However, it’s highly unlikely that it will.

If you are someone who is struggling with your mental health, know that you shouldn’t have to do it alone, and seeking out help, regardless of how you go about doing so, will be greatly beneficial.

There are multiple resources for Washington State University students.

Counseling and Psychological Services

On campus at Washington State University, there is a counseling center called “Counseling and Psychological Services,” which is in the Cougar Health building. It provides students with the ability to meet with a counselor one-on-one, or attend group sessions for free. They also have a psychiatrist on staff if after their first appointment, medication is suggested by the counselor and the student is interested. There is also a crisis phone line specific to WSU, which is available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The phone number is: 509-334-1133

If you are interested in accessing these services, the walk-in hours are Monday, and Tuesday from 10:30 to 3:30, Wednesday from 1:00 to 3:30 pm, and Thursday and Friday from 10:30 to 3:30 pm.

Suicide Prevention Hotline

If you or someone else needs immediate assistance, you can call or text the hotline. The phone number to call is: 1 (800) 273-8255. To text: 741-741.

Talkspace

Talkspace is an application available on the iTunes and Google Play store that offers individual counseling services with a licensed therapist. One of the benefits of doing it this way is that you can stay in the comfort of your home, while still receiving therapy. Talkspace unlike most on-campus services is a subscription-based service. Subscriptions start at $49 per week for being able to text, call, or video chat with the therapist assigned to you, five days a week.

The WSU Psychology Clinic

The psychology clinic is one service most students likely have never heard of. It’s a nonprofit community mental health service for students or members of the Moscow – Pullman community. They offer individual therapy for adults, children, adolescents, and veterans. The clinic also offers psychological assessments (if students are interested in a diagnosis).

The clinic is located in the Johnson Tower, Room 362 on the WSU campus.

To schedule an appointment, you can go into the office, or call their phone number: 509-335-3587

Since counseling has become available online, there are are a plethora of resources available, and we are no longer limited to services within walking or driving distance. As difficult as it can be to reach out, it is always worth it. I know I always find comfort in talking to someone.

I'm a sophomore at Washington State University, currently studying English, Journalism/Media Production, and Digital Technology and Culture. In my free time, I can be found editing videos, writing for HerCampus, and traveling, in order to further get to know the world and myself. My passion resides in advocating for human rights, spreading awareness, and manifesting creativity. I plan to attend grad school, and work in the film industry, in one way or another. A random fact about me is that I started my own photography business when I was fifteen, and I still have it to this day!
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!