timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Need To Focus On Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

You go to class. You do homework, sometimes leaving it till the last minute. You party till the sun comes up. Hopefully you eat and shower in between all of this, but when did you stop and think about yourself for just a second? When did you stop following the crowd and just chill out? College students have super powers; we do things nonstop and don’t feel the effects of it until we’re really run down. We won’t admit that sometimes we’re emotionally and physically exhausted because we’ll have serious FOMO if we don’t try and keep up. We want to stay in the loop and embody what it is to be a true college student. In reality constantly keeping busy will take a toll on you, so step back and focus on you for once. 

Two three-page papers, a critic, a lab assignment, and whatever else your professors add to that list — that’s what you need to get done. Your professors don’t care about what homework you have in other classes; they only care (and really know) about theirs, so they’ll add to the pot as much as they want. Don’t make things worse for yourself by procrastinating and waiting until the very end; you’ll thank me later. *Sarah, a student at Montclair State University, said, “Keeping a planner and adding all my assignment dates for the week has helped me a lot. Not only does it motivate me to get my work done early but it keeps me organized and less stressed.” Try and figure out what has to be done for your classes so you can actually enjoy a night out without worrying about deadlines. 

Thursday through Saturday night is usually when the words “turn up” or “shmoney dance” are yelled. Parties are one of the central themes of college, for most students (but, hey, if you don’t party, there’s nothing wrong with that either). Turning up for one, two, or maybe even three nights in a row is going to have a physically draining effect on your body. Even if you don’t drink, coming home around 3 in the morning will catch up to you in the long run. Most students have serious fear of missing out, or as we like to call it FOMO, if they’re not always busy with partying or going out;  trust me, there will be other times. But if you have to go out, don’t drink all the time; it’ll save you that groggy feeling the next morning.

Once in a while take a break from all of the partying and nurse that hangover the right way with a girl’s night in and some popcorn. Or even just relax on your own. Your body needs time to recuperate. If you go for weekends on end, the doctor will be your next going out event.

The most important thing is to sometimes focus on yourself. Take a step back from all the drama and stress that college can bring and find an outlet that can relieve all of your stress. You could go to the gym and run or lift for a little bit! Maybe go on a hike or see your family for a weekend. Remember to use your resources around campus if you’re feeling overwhelmed; you can talk to someone whether it be a professional or a friend (the Counseling, Health, and Wellness Center is a great resource if you need to seek help). Try not to keep it all bottled up. Also, make sure to try and finish assignments earlier so you’re not stressed about them later. And insteasd of the nonstop partying, maybe stay in for a night and watch a movie; breaking routine is good once in a while! And it can be really, really good for you.

Sources

Photo #1

Photo #2

http://www.wpunj.edu/health-wellness/

Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"