Wellness

Unconventional Ways to Stabilize Your Nervous System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

We’re all familiar with the concept of the nervous system types, most of us have already learned it in a biology or psychology class, but what we don’t often learn is how to regulate it.  Our lives are as busy as can be, and with such a fast paced schedule, it can quickly become too much to handle.  Taking out time for ourselves should be an important aspect of our day to day lives, but what are some ways that can actually get us to slow down and regulate our nervous system?

Short lesson to be had here: There are different types of nervous systems, but today we’re focusing on the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS).  The Sympathetic Nervous System is where we are able to detect direct threats or possible instances of danger in our lives.  Upon detecting a threat, the SNS thereby triggers our well known “fight or flight” response in order for us to act accordingly to a dangerous situation.  One downside of having this extremely helpful trait is that sometimes the synapses in our SNS are misfired, or have falsely detected something as a threat.  This could look like someone getting anxious about speaking in front of an audience, taking an exam, or just simply going out to shop for groceries in a crowded store.  No threat there, so why are our bodies picking it up as such?

A dysregulated Sympathetic Nervous System is something we may be already aware of, but are unsure of recognizing the signs or having an effective way of finding equilibrium again. How does our nervous system affect our day to day lives you may ask?  Here are some general observations and symptoms, generously explained by the London Clinic of Nutrition: Shallow breathing, tense muscles, or a dry mouth.  Some of the time, individuals can even experience something called hypervigilance, which can result from a particularly impactful life experience, which is also an indicator of a dysregulated SNS.

Now that we understand what the Sympathetic Nervous System is, along with some of its physical indicators, how do we go about helping ourselves?  There are some ways that we can help find that balance again, even from the comfort of our own homes, thankfully!  

1. Taking a cold shower

Although this may sound counterintuitive, (because who would want to take a cold shower?) cold showers actually do the job in slowing us down.  Initially it’s not going to feel too nice, but taking in deep breaths and letting our bodies acclimate to the cold temperature helps our vagus nerve, which are the main nerves that function within our nervous systems.  Alternatively, you could apply an ice pack directly to the nerve if a cold shower is too much!

1. Flossing!

I know, this one sounds completely out there, but I have just the explanation for it.  You might be familiar with the term “bilateral stimulation” (often exemplified through ASMR videos on YouTube), but if not, it is essentially the tracking of both eyes (visual), ears (audio), or the body (kinesthetic).  In the case of flossing, you’re getting a bang for your buck by taking care of your teeth, while also regulating your nervous system by utilizing both hands to floss and actually visualizing the action.

1. Dancing/Singing 

Last but not least, a more familiar outlet for the anxious mind and body.  Oftentimes when we’re amped up we might find ourselves fidgeting with our hair, nails, or clothing… but by dancing or singing, we’re channeling that stuck energy out! Both are widely recognized techniques that help to calm us down, therefore helping out our SNS.

Sama Jaber

WPUNJ '24

Hi my name is Sama! I'm a sophomore at WillyP, a psych major, and a social justice minor. I'm excited to participate as a new member of HerCampus WPUNJ!