This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

The option to study abroad is offered at most universities around the world, including our own William Paterson University! Here at WPUNJ, you can study on a cruise ship with the Semester at Sea program, go to school in a different state, or even another continent.  With plenty of programs to choose from you could never go wrong studying abroad. Although these programs can be pretty costly (especially with a plane ticket, books, and many other supplies), anyone who has studied abroad will say that the cost and stress was well worth it. Her Campus WPUNJ narrowed down the many benefits of studying abroad to our top 5!

1.     Learn about other cultures and perspectives

There are unique cultures not only in different countries but in different states as well. While studying abroad you will be exposed to those cultures and their various viewpoints, which will help to make you more open-minded and more well-rounded.

2.     Become more independent

Many students who decide to study abroad have never lived away from their home and family! You might not know how to do your own laundry or cook your own meals, but studying abroad will give you the opportunity to learn how to do these things for yourself, all while maintaining positive life choices. Mom will be so proud!

3.     Meet new friends

Moving to a new city will expose you to plenty of new people from places around the country or even around the world. Some of these people may also be students who are studying abroad – in which case you’ve already got something in common – whereas others may be locals from the area. These new friends will help you open up a world of possibilities and become more cultured in the process. Besides, who doesn’t like making new memories with new friends?

4.     Sightsee

Studying abroad offers a cheaper alternative to traveling on your own. While you’re away, you can visit surrounding countries, states, cities, and the extraordinary landmarks and museums that each of these places hold. Go ride the Eye of London! Kiss the Blarney Stone! See wildlife out in a real-life Savannah! These are experiences you may never get again, so make sure you live them up while you’ve got the chance.

5.     Make connections with companies in the area

If you’ve always hoped to live and work in the city you study abroad in, it would be very easy for you to create networks in the area. You could get in contact with the companies you’re interested in for future jobs and internships, and by the time you apply, you’ll have already made yourself known.

The deadline for most of the programs is quickly approaching – on or close to October 15th! If you are interested in studying abroad, you can go to the Study Abroad office in Raubinger Hall, room 207B for more information and get your application in ASAP!

Lainie is a contributing writer for Her Campus WPUNJ.  She is currently a junior print journalism major. She hopes to one day travel the globe and share her experiences with the world via a blog or in magazine articles. She enjoys listening to music, hanging out with friends and family, and surfing Tumblr for the latest memes. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"