Tackling the winter blues one cute DIY at a time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Winter has now arrived with its snow storms, crazy winds, and slippery sidewalks in full force. Even though people like to focus on the sparkling snow and pretty winter wonderlands, this time of year not only brings frosted beauty but also clouds, rain, slush and overall a big bowl o’ gloom. It can be a pretty big downer when you’re stuck on campus or in your room during a snow day, so here are 5 things you can do that can turn your day around.

1. Hang up a tapestry!

It doesn’t have to be a tapestry bought from a store; it can be anything! Nowadays, stores have started to sell fabric posters and just plain sheets of fabric to hang on the wall. My roommate and I didn’t want to spend a large amount of money on a big tapestry for our living room, so we took a normal, old, pink sheet we had and cut it as if it was a paper snowflake, and it turned out to be gorgeous. It truly brought the living room to life.

2. Organize!

Now, this one may seem like a complete bore to most of us. However, I love to organize! Keeping and maintaining a clean desk or closet can help better focus on homework or even pick a good outfit in the morning. Take your closet for example. My closet last year happened to be a complete mess. Jumbled up clothes would be in every corner, so one day, I decided to take the first step and put my clothes in color piles, which made it easier to hang, and MUCH easier to match in the morning. So who knows, maybe doing this will help your mood, or even help you find that olive tank top you’ve been looking for, for the past month *wink wink*.

3. Snow day dance party

No matter the weather, a little dance off in your room is never a bad idea. Get those legs moving and grab a partner! Take your roommate or even your mom and go to the kitchen and sing along to Bruno Mars’ 24k Magic while using the soup spoon as a microphone! So get out there and ‘put yo pinky rings up to the mooooon.’

4. Try cooking!

This is probably my favorite one. Whenever I’m sad, food will always be my savior. I usually watch an insane amount of Buzzfeed videos so I usually get my ideas from there (they’re so good and so simple), but even when you’re not feeling a YouTube tutorial, you can always experiment with different ingredients yourself! For example: last winter I invented the drawer sundae. It included whichever ice cream was currently in the freezer and a bit of every single type of candy in my emergency candy drawer, topped off with either a drizzle of caramel or chocolate fudge. However, if I felt daring, both the caramel AND fudge. Sundae you ask? More like Sun-bae.

5. Make your own Blanket!

There’s been a sudden craze going around by the name of no-sew blankets, and to be completely open with you gals, it’s the cutest thing ever. They make the best cuddle buddies, gifts, and pieces of décor I’ve ever seen. It only requires two pieces of fleece both the same size (preferably 2.5 yards) and a pair of fabric scissors! Cut a fringe on each side of the blanket, leaving out a little square on each corner, and tie two fringe pieces of the two pieces of fleece until the entire thing looks like the picture above. There you go! A new way to decorate and stay warm while sipping on some yummy hot cocoa.

William Paterson University Junior Harry potter fan and Public Health major
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"