New(ish) and Highly Anticipated Movies This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

For all my movie fanatics out there, we all know the feeling of waiting on a highly anticipated movie that has been hyped up for so long when it finally hits our theaters.  With Robert Pattinson recently starring as Batman, I don’t know if these movies ever got the well deserved hype. However, what I do know is that just like Batman, these new and upcoming films are worth every minute of your time!

Ti West’s X is our first film.  Now personally I am an enormous fan of the production company A24, they never seem to churn out a lackluster movie, especially when directed by Ari Aster. Their latest production, X, is a horror movie starring Jenny Ortega and Kid Cudi taking place in rural Texas.  With the intention of filming an adult movie, all hell breaks loose and everyone is in a fight for their lives. Fresh to theaters, people are already raving about it.  You can find the trailer to this film here.  

Our second film, also already playing in theaters, is Iris Shim’s Umma.  Sandra Oh’s character Amanda leads a relatively quiet and unabridged life.  While this is true, things will quickly make a sharp turn for the worst in this memorable supernatural horror film.  I can’t say too much without giving away key elements of this film, but the trailer, which can be found here, produces an enticing story that has caught mine and many other’s eyes.

Breaking into the spotlight with an incredibly powerful plot is Sian Heder’s CODA.  With our earliest release to date in August of 2021, CODA brings to light the life of those who live with hard of hearing people.  Main character Ruby is the only member of the family who is hearing.  We get a walkthrough of how she navigates her life around her deaf parents, all while watching her journey of self discovery unfold.  Ruby is met at a crossroads between maintaining her family’s fishing business, or choosing the route to her dreams in the very emotional film.  The trailer to CODA can be found here.  

Last but certainly not least is our final film, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore.  While not being released yet, David Yates’ film is bringing us back into the fantasy world for the third time. Personally, I have not seen any of the previous films as I am not a big fantasy buff, but from what I have been hearing so far it will surely not let anyone down come time for its release.  With main focus on Albus Dumbledore’s (sound familiar?) adventures, him and others, notably Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Ezra Miller, track onto a journey for the fight of a lifetime.  Here’s the trailer!  

Sama Jaber

WPUNJ '24

Hi my name is Sama! I'm a sophomore at WillyP, a psych major, and a social justice minor. I'm excited to participate as a new member of HerCampus WPUNJ!