neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Stress Free This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As we start a new semester, a lot of new stressors are thrown our way. We have to adopt a new schedule, our sleep is thrown off by work and homework and we may even be eating less because of the limited time we have.  All these things can cause a number of illnesses because our body’s immunity is down. You could gain weight because fast food is more convenient than your normal diet. Sleep deprivation is also an issue many college students face. So what can we do to stay healthy and happy this new fall semester?

Here are a few tips and tricks to keep you healthy and happy this semester!
  • Organize your schedule and make time for everything

This includes fun activities and of course sleep. Keeping a planner may seem like a daunting and tedious task but in the long run you’ll feel better about knowing what all your time is spent doing. It is also a great way to practice and develop time management for the real world.

• Drink water

This seems obvious but a lot of people are not getting enough water every day. The traditional recommendation is eight 8 ounce glasses or half a gallon of water every day. That’s a lot of water but it’s doable. Even if you do not consume half a gallon a water a day try and carry a water bottle with you. There’s also apps if you want to track how much water you’re drinking on a day to day.

•  Exercise

This could include anything from a walk around campus to a Zumba class or going to a gym and pumping iron. Anything that will raise your rate and get your muscles moving is great. Also exercise has been shown to release dopamine which is the feel good chemical.

• Siesta

Translation- NAPS! Naps are great for recharging your batteries throughout the day. Especially if you don’t get a goods nights rest. If you can’t make time for a nap don’t overload on caffeine that may be keeping you from sleeping later. Get some fruit or veggies to snack on to help keep you energized for those long days.

• Do fun stuff

Whatever it is that you like to do to relax and unwind make time for it. There is always plenty of events hosted by the university you can go. Explore your college town. Go to sporting events with friends. Have sleepovers or go shopping. Remember that you are at school to get a education but you don’t have to be stressed about school all the time. Make time for homework but also take care of your mental health by making time for fun stuff.

Of course there are plenty of other ways to keep yourself sane throughout the semester but start practicing a few of these and see what works. Have a great semester collegiette’s!  

19 Bi-racial, bi-lingual WPUNJ Junior Double Major in Financial Planning and Pop Music
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"