This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Having a friend means having someone to rely on, to share your feelings with, and to accompany you when you cannot do something on your own. Friendships are a defining way to understand someone else and is also a way to create bonds with someone else. And there are a few ways that you can do so, even having a lasting bond with that person.

1. Knowing your friend; By knowing, I am saying that you should get to acknowledge that person for who they are and for what they do. Knowing your friend is key to maintaining a friendship.

2. Providing distance; Keeping distance from your friends is not a way of neglection, but showing that you are someone who is willing to give space to those you consider close too. To be a friend, is to be considerate when someone wants to keep distance and too themselves.

3. Connect with them; Share moments with them, hang out with them. Get to know that person you are befriending and get to know them more. Sharing moments and events with that person is a way to establish a healthy connection between you and that person.

My name is Tajae Chevannes. I am a writer for Her Campus and I write about articles. I mainly write immersive content.