This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Once the holidays passed and the amount of Christmas cookies I’d eaten had started to hit me, I realized it was time to get going on the healthy New Year start! So when I came back to WPUNJ and needed a place to eat that offers something yummy and healthy, I headed over to Umi Sushi on Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne.

This cute authentic sushi spot has something for everyone on their menu, and with their updated website you can order your food online and pick up!

I recently discovered this hidden gem while driving around campus looking for a sushi spot with my friend, Kevin. The first thing we noticed upon entering Umi was the authentic Japanese atmosphere that surrounds the restaurant; the pictures and real chopsticks added a very classy touch. They also had special seating in a separate sections for bigger groups, and a separate sushi bar as well as a hibachi table for dinner.

When we first sat down the only thing I didn’t like was how dark it was; it had a lot of shading and the dark walls did not do any justice. On the plus side, our waitress was quick to take our drink order and didn’t make us wait at all. She did a great job of bringing out our food on a timely manner. I ordered steamed pork dumplings and two sushi rolls for the lunch special. First came out the Miso soup that comes with the special, followed by the dumplings. The dumplings were perfectly sized and not too doughy; they also added sesame seeds on top for crunch which really balanced out the softness of the dumpling well. My friend, Kevin, who is a really picky eater, really enjoyed them too!

Next came the sushi, I ordered a spicy shrimp roll and a spicy crab roll, and Kevin decided on a California roll. I really liked the freshness of the rolls, They were light and delicious, and both were perfect lunch rolls. I also really enjoyed the spicy mayo; it was very smooth and not too heavy with a perfect amount of heat. 

After we finished eating we receive our check, with the two rolls and a dumpling appetizer that we ordered, our total was $20 with tip, which is a steal for the quality of service and food we received!

When it comes to your food, it’s never a good idea to be cheap, but being fiscally responsible is just part of being a young adult, and being able to get both of these in a great location gets Umi Sushi #HCWPUNJApproved!

Their Score:

Service: 10

Price: 9 (recently increased their lunch special but still under $10)

Food: 10

Location: 9.5

Appearance: 8.5

Portion: 9

Convenience for Students: 10

TOTAL: 9.4

Be sure to check out Umi Sushi at Plaza Square, 693 Paterson Hamburg Turnpike, Wayne, NJ 07470 or on their website: http://www.umijapanesesteakhousenj.com/

I am a Business Administration student at William Paterson University, graduating in 2015. I am the Social Media Manager at Her Campus WPUNJ. When I'm not working on my assignments, I'm eating food and seeking adventure. I also love to exercise, travel and  spend time with my dog. I try to always enjoy the little things in life, because to me, they are the big things.Be sure to tweet at me! @lalalexiiiii
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"