The Guide to the Perfect Galentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, students across campus are scrambling to make plans for that big, special day. Many are excited as they are filled with butterflies; others are dreading that “god-forsaken day” also known as Singles Awareness Day (SAD). But instead of dwelling on your non-plans, why not enjoy a day coined by Parks and Recreation, a day meant to celebrate the fabulous nature of every girl: Galentine’s Day. Galentine’s Day is Valentine’s Day but better because you can surround yourself with people who won’t judge you for eating a dozen chocolate-covered strawberries or for buying yourself flowers, because hey, you deserve it! Check out these tips on planning the perfect day all about your favorite gal pals.

The Girls

Now, Galentine’s Day does not have to be specifically restricted to those that are single. Galentine’s day is the perfect day for single girls, girls in “sort of dating but maybe not” relationships, girls in long distance relationships, or just any girl (because lets face it, who doesn’t love food, fun, and friends). The point of Galentine’s day is to celebrate all the great gals in your life, so this day is not about exclusion. Got a friend with a single friend? Invite them both! Got a friend who has lovesick friends? Bring them all! Galentine’s only gets better with more gals involved.

The Activities

While many a couple will be out on long walks or basking in the beauty of their love, there is no need to sit around and be bored! Watching chick flicks always makes for a good time (check out our article on the Top 10 Movies to Watch This Valentine’s Day), but feel free to get a little more creative. Whether it be throwing it back to childhood with a good old game of MASH (reliving our dreams of marrying that high school hunk and living in a mansion), or showing off your polished look by getting mani-pedis, find a fun way to fill the time doing something you truly enjoy. One way to guarantee a good time is to pull out all those editions of Cosmo and try to read the ridiculous sex tips with a straight face, or take the quizzes to find out what type of guy is perfect for you. When you are with your gal pals on Galentine’s, it won’t really matter what you do, though, because you will be making endless memories.

The Goodies

Girls and games are all good and fine, but the real highlight of Galentine’s day has to be the goodies. Delicious food definitely helps erase the memories of significant others past. Appetizers and finger foods are a fun way to have the perfect something for everyone. Whether it be charcuterie (delicious meats & cheeses) or fun tea-sandwiches, chips and dips or flatbreads, you can never go wrong with appetizers. If you are pulling off a dorm-room Galentine’s and do not have access to a full kitchen, Trader Joe’s has a great selection of frozen appetizers that just need to be popped into the oven and they are ready to go! It would not be Galentine’s without sweets, however. While chocolate covered strawberries are a delicious go-to, try something fun and simple like snickerdoodles or “slutty brownies” to spice up this special day!

Whatever your reason for celebrating Galentine’s Day, it is the perfect time to surround yourself with great food, great times, and great gals. Whether or not you are in love with that special someone, February 14th is a day to celebrate!

Born and raised in Southern California. Loving the East Coast.