10 Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

For some, Valentine’s Day is kinda like a slap to the face that they’re single. For others, Valentine’s Day is a hilarious date in which they can make fun of the cheesiness of the presents, dates, and lovers who do their best to make this day special. And then there are those people who are currently in some sort of relationship that may or may not make it to next year’s Valentine’s Day. No matter what category you fall into, movies about love and romance are perfect to sit down and watch, whether they make you sad, make you smile, or you just sit there and sarcastically make fun of all the characters. Here’s 10 romantic movies for you to watch this Valentine’s Day that are sure to make you laugh, cry, and believe in “True Love”, if only for about two hours.

Source

1. The Notebook (2004) – This movie follows the lives of Allie and Noah from the moment they meet in Seabrook Island, to the second they fall in love, and the many challenges that come with their love.  An elderly man, Duke, in a nursing home who reads this story every day to an elderly woman. Noah and Allie first meet through mutual friends at a carnival. Right away, Noah falls in love, but it takes time for Allie to fall for him. And then she does. There are long nights together reading poetry and sneaking out late at night. One night he shows her the run down house he wants to buy and fix up and she tells him about rooms she wants in the house. And he promises her those rooms. But when their summer love affair is cut short by Allie’s mother deciding that her family is moving back to Charleston, SC, they break it off and Noah doesn’t see Allie for a long time. Does Noah ever see Allie again? Does he build the house of their dreams? And who are the old couple in the nursing home? Find out in this heartbreaking, but love-filled movie that is sure to make you laugh and cry.

Source

2. Love and Basketball (2000) – Monica and Quincy are childhood sweethearts. The movie follows them through thirteen years of their friendship. They end up being the leaders of their respective high school basketball teams. Scouts take notice of Quincy, seeing him and a possible top prospect for the country. However, Monica struggles with fierce emotions on the court, which turns the scouts away from her. Monica finds a way to control her emotions and leads her team to the state finals where they fall just short of a victory. In recovery from their loss, her cousin gives her a makeover and sets her up with a cute college student for her high school dance. At the dance, Monica and Quincy give jealous glares to the other’s date. After the dance, Quincy comes to her window and they talk about their failed dates. Monica tells him she’s received a letter from USC and wants him to open it. He reads that she’s been accepted. They congratulate each other and seal it with a kiss right before confessing their true feelings for each other. Want to know how Monica and Quincy’s love story ends? Watch on to see if their love lasts and what happens when they make it to play college ball.

Source

3. When in Rome (2010) – Beth, a single woman waiting to find love, goes to Rome for her sister’s wedding. There, she meets Nick who saves her in some difficult situations and they hit it off. As Beth is starting to believe in love again, she sees Nick kissing another girl at her sister’s wedding. She gets a little drunk and goes to the “fountain of love” where she picks up five different coins. She is then told about a legend which says if you take coins out of that fountain then the ones who had tossed them in will fall in love with you. She is pursued back to New York by four men: Al, Lance, Antonio, and Gale. She realizes she needs to return the coins to the fountain to break the spell. As she’s falling in love with Nick again, she realizes that the fifth coin is his and questions whether or not their love is because of the spell. Find out if Beth can break the spell before anything bad happens and see if her love for Nick outlasts the spell.

Source

4. Titanic (1997) – A treasure hunter and his team search the wreck of the Titanic for a necklace with a rare diamond, the Heart of the Ocean. They recover a drawing of a woman wearing the necklace and bring Rose Dawson Calvert to the ship where she tells of her time on the Titanic and what happened to the necklace. It’s now 1912 and 17 year old Rose DeWitt Bukater and her fiancé Cal Hockley board the Titanic with Rose’s mother Ruth. Jack Dawson, a poor man, wins a ticket aboard the Titanic in a poker match just before the ship sails off. He boards the ship ready for adventure. Ruth attempts at convincing her daughter that her marriage to Cal will solve their family’s money problems. Distraught about her engagement, Rose decides she’ll jump off the stern. Jack finds Rose and prevents her from jumping. Rose has to convince Cal that nothing happened between her and Jack, that all he did was save her life. Jack is invited to join Rose’s family for dinner in the first-class section. Jack and Rose become good friends and she even sneaks away to a third-class party with him. After rendezvousing on the bow at sunset, Rose invites Jack to her state room. Rose then asks him to draw her posing nude wearing only Cal’s engagement present, the Heart of the Ocean necklace. When Cal finds the photo and hides the necklace, he accuses Jack of theft. Jack is being held when the Titanic hits and iceberg and begins to sink. Rose sets off to look for Jack. Does Roes make it to Jack on time? What happens when the ship goes down? Do they ever see each other again? Find out in this heart-wrenching classic movie that is bound to make you cry and maybe even laugh a little.

Source

5. Valentine’s Day (2010) – This hilarious romantic comedy follows a round a huge group of related couples. It’s the morning of Valentine’s Day and a florist Reed wakes up and proposes to his girlfriend Morley who accepts. However, Reed’s closest friends Alfonso and Julia aren’t surprised when she suddenly changes her mind and leaves him a few hours later. Meanwhile, on a flight to Los Angeles, Kate, a captain in the U.S. Army on one-day leave befriends Holden. When the plane lands, he offers her a ride in his limo. Julia is an elementary school teacher who has fallen in love with Dr. Harrison but doesn’t know that he’s married to Pamela. He tells Julia that he has to go to San Francisco for a business trip. On his way, he stops in Reed’s flowershop and orders two bouquets of flowers, asking for discretion. Despite Reed’s warning and convinced he’s wrong, Julia flies to San Francisco to surprise Harrison. She finds him at a local restaurant and finds out that he’s married. She dresses as a waitress and makes a scene. Next, one of Julia’s students, Edison orders flowers from Reed’s shop for Julia, but Julia suggests he gives them to Rani, a girl who has a crush on him. Edison’s babysitter Grace plans to lose her virginity to her boyfriend Alex. The encounter goes awry when Grace’s mother finds a naked Alex. Edison’s grandparents, Edgar and Estelle, are facing troubles of a long marriage. Grace’s high school friends, Willy and Felicia, are experiencing the freshness of new love and have agreed to wait for sex. Meanwhile, Sean Jackson, a closeted gay professional football player, is contemplating ending his career with his publicist Kara and agent Paula. Kara is organizing her annual “I hate Valentine’s Day” party, but soon becomes interested in sports reported Kelvin. Find out what happens to these couples as their valentine’s day ends along with the other couples that appear in this hilarious film dedicated to this day of love.

Source

6. The Lucky One (2012) – Logan is a U.S. Marine serving his third tour of duty in Iraq when his platoon engages in a night raid. He witnesses “Aces”, another Marine, die while attempting to aid one of his men. The following morning, he sees something glinting in the sun and walks over to pick it up. He finds a picture of a young woman, the message “keep safe x” written on the back. At that moment, a mortar attack destroys where he had been siting before he saw the picture, killing some of the men around him and leaving him with minor injuries. He keeps the picture, hoping to find its owner. Eventually, his tour ends and his squad mate is confident Logan will return home claiming that the woman in his picture is Logan’s “guardian angel”. Logan returns to Colorado to live with his sister and her family. Suffering from PTSD and survivor’s guilt, Logan finds it difficult to adjust to life back home. So he leave Colorado in search for the woman in the picture. Watch this love-filled film to find out if Logan meets this mystery woman and what happens if he does.

Source

7. The Vow (2012) – Based on a true story, The Vow follows Paige Collins and her husband Leo through a tragic accident. They come out of a movie theater and on their way home, they approach a stop sign where Paige unbuckles her seatbelt to lean over and kiss Leo. At that moment, a truck rams their car from behind and Paige crashes through the windshield. They are both rushed to the emergency room and then it is shown when Leo and Paige first met as the two are unconscious. When Paige regains her consciousness, she think Leo is her doctor, having lost all memoires of the past few years. When her parents learn about this and visit her, it is the first time that Leo meets them, and they are not happy about Leo taking their daughter and not telling them about it. Paige doesn’t understand why Leo would not have met her parents, having been married. Leo doesn’t know either. In addition to this, Paige does not get why she left law school or broke off her engagement with her previous fiancé Jeremy. Her parents want to take her home and so she agrees. But Leo comes running after her, playing a voice memo for her in which she sounds happy and romantic, so Paige decides to stay. Join Leo and Paige on this journey to rediscover love and find out if Paige recovers her memory of her husband.

Source

8. Just Like Heaven (2005) – Elizabeth is a young emergency medicine physician who works nonstop ends up in a serious car accident while on her way to a blind date. Three months later, David, who is recovering from the sudden death of his wife, moves into the apartment that had been Elizabeth’s. Elizabeth’s spirit begins to appear to David in the apartment with ghostly properties and abilities that make it clear that something is not right. When they meet they are both surprised, because Elizabeth is not aware of what happened to her and refuses to think she is dead. David tries to have her spirit exorcised from the apartment. Since only he can see her, others think he is hallucinating. David and Elizabeth begin to bond, as much as possible. Together, Elizabeth and David find out who she is and what happened to her and why they are connected. She is not dead but in a coma on life support. David finds out that according to her living will, she will soon be allowed to die, so he tries to prevent her sister, Abby, by telling her that he can see her and what the situation involves. Watch this tale about beautiful love and life to see if Elizabeth ever wakes up and if David’s love for her grows.

Source

9. Dear John (2010) – John, a Staff Sergeant in the United States Army Special Forces meets Savannah, a college student who’s on spring break in Charleston, SC in 2001. Her purse falls into the water, so he rescues it for her. In the following two weeks, Savannah and John fall in love. John ends up meeting her family, neighbor, Tim, and younger brother, Alan, who has autism. Savannah meets John’s father who is obsessed with his coin collection. John’s father draws a genuine interest to Savannah. Savannah suggests to John that his father, like Alan, may have high-functioning autism. This upsets John who storms off and gets into a fight with Randy, a friend of Savannah, and ends up accidentally punching Tim. John apologizes to Tim, leaves Savannah a note and then they spend on last day together. They continue their relationship through letters, expecting to build a life together when he leaves the army. John decides to re-enlist and their romance continues in letters for two years. John finds himself anxiously awaiting the next letter, however, the next letter tells him that Savannah has become engaged to someone else so he burns all of her letters. John gets wounded and is encouraged to return home, but instead he decides to re-enlist again. After four more years, John is informed that his father had a stroke. So, John writes him a letter. Soon afterwards, his father dies. What happens when John returns home to find that Savannah has married Tim? Can he let go of her finally after all these years?

Source

10. Letters to Juliet (2010) – Sophie works for The New Yorker as a fact checker. She asks her boss about writing and having something published in the magazine. She headed to Italy with her fiancé, Victor, for a pre-honeymoon. Victor is unmoved by the romance of Italy, so he does some research for his upcoming restaurant. Sophie accidentally discovers and unanswered “letter to Juliet” by and English woman named Claire Smith from 1957. One of thousands of missives left at the fictional lover’s Verona courtyard that are typically answered by the “secretaries of Juliet”. She answers the letter she found and within a week Claire arrives in Verona with her grandson Charlie, who doesn’t get along with Sophie at first. Claire, with encouragement from Sophie, decides to look for her long-lost love, Lorenzo. Charlie is not happy about the search because he believes his grandmother’s true love is his grandfather. The trio searches for days for Lorenzo with no luck. Charlie and Sophie begin to bond. After a conversation about love, the two end up kissing, which Sophie realizes will complicate things with Victor. Will Claire find her long-lost love, Lorenzo? What happens between Charlie and Sophie and Sophie and Victor? Who ends up with Sophie’s heart in the end?

Source