8 Dessert Ideas for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to eat as much food as humanly possible, while still trying to save room for dessert. Because dessert is the best part of Thanksgiving dinner, if I do say so myself! To get you in the mood for this next amazing holiday, or to give you some ideas as to what to make for the people you share this day with, I’ve collected 8 recipes that are bound to impress your guests, family, and your stomach!

Pumpkin pie is a classic dessert for Thanksgiving. There really isn’t Thanksgiving without it. I mean, why else are pumpkins in season this time of year? Yes, they’re pretty to look at during the month of October, but once November comes, it’s time to start picking out the pumpkins that will taste good in our pies (even if they come out of a can!) I have picked out two different recipes, one is a traditional recipe and the other is a vegan/gluten free version so everyone can enjoy this classic holiday treat!

1. Libby’s Famous Pumpkin Pie (Traditional)

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

Whipped cream (optional)

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell

1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk

1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin

2 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup granulated sugar

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 425°F

2. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

3. Pour into pie shell.

4. Bake in oven at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.

5. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

2. Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie (Also wheat-free)

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

1 15 ounce can pumpkin

1 cup soy milk

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 9-inch gluten-free pie crust (Directions to make it here)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Add all ingredients together. Mix slowly at medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes.

3. Pour into 9-inch gluten-free pie crust and bake 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F. Bake another 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool. Refrigerate 30 minutes.

Another good dessert to have on Thanksgiving is Cheesecake. It’s another classic dessert that your stomach just cannot get enough of during the holidays. There are many different types and flavors of cheesecake. I’ve collected for you two recipes. The first is a traditional Cheesecake recipe. The second is a vegan pumpkin cheesecake.

3. Traditional Cheesecake

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1 tablespoon sugar

3 tablespoons cold butter

Filling:

4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

1-1/4 cups sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°

2. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Grease the sides only of a 9-in. springform pan; press crumb mixture onto bottom of pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour filling onto crust. Return pan to baking sheet.

4. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.

5. Serve plain or with fruit topping of choice (e.g. raspberries, strawberries, etc.)

4. Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake With Gingersnap Crust 

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

For the Crust:

1 1/2 cups organic vegan gingersnap cookies (about 24 cookies)

1/4 cup almonds

2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated

2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil

1/4 cup brown or palm sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For the Pumpkin Filling:

2 (8-ounce) containers vegan cream cheese

1/3 cup evaporated cane sugar

1/3 cup evaporated cane sugar

1 (15-ounce) can organic pumpkin, or pumpkin pie filling

1/4 teaspoon cloves

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon whole-wheat pastry flour

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

For the Crust:

1. Preheat oven to 350° F

2. Place cookies, almonds, ginger, oil, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until uniform, about 20 to 25 times. Mixture should be a crumbly, even consistency that pulls away from the walls of food processor.

3. Grease a springform pan. Use damp hands to firmly press mixture into pan to form crust. Be sure to evenly distribute mixture and use thumbs to press crust into corners of pan. Bake for 7 minutes, to help crust stick together.

For the Filling:

1. In a food processor, add cream cheese, sugar, pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, flour, lemon juice, oil and sea salt. Blend until uniform.

2. Pour filling into baked crust and gently tap mixture on counter to release any trapped bubbles. Bake for about 40 minutes or until mixture is slightly browned on top and feels firm when pan is slightly shaken.

3. Remove from oven and allow cheesecake to cool on counter for at least 20 minutes, then refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight before serving, to firm up.

Pudding is always a delight to have for dessert. It brings out the child in us and just makes our days better, no matter the circumstance. The best kind of pudding, in my opinion, is banana pudding. Especially when pieces of banana are inside and it’s served with vanilla wafers and whipped cream. Here are two different recipes for banana pudding. One is traditional and the other is vegan. 

5. Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

3 eggs, beaten

1 dash salt

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 -4 ripe bananas, sliced

Vanilla wafers

Directions:

1. Mix sugar and eggs together.

2. Add salt, cornstarch, and milk.

3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; cook until thickened.

4. Remove from heat; add vanilla and mix well.

5. In serving bowl, layer the wafers, bananas, and the pudding.

​6. Vegan Banana Pudding 

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

⅓ cup raw cane sugar

4 Tbs. cornstarch

⅛ tsp. salt

3 cups coconut milk beverage, such as Silk, divided

1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract

3 very ripe bananas, sliced

48 vegan vanilla wafer cookies (Hard to find in stores, here’s a recipe to make them if you cannot find them!)

Non-dairy whipped topping if desired (optional)

Directions:

1. Place sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan, and gradually whisk in coconut milk. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in vanilla, then banana slices.

2. Line bottom of 11- x 7-inch baking dish with 24 cookies. Spread hot pudding over top, making sure bananas are submerged to prevent browning. Top with remaining 24 cookies, cover with plastic wrap, and cool. Refrigerate until cold. Top with whipped topping if using.

Cookies are a classic favorite. They can be passed around while dinner is cooking, eaten after the meal before dessert is served, or used to quiet children and our stomachs, which are both begging for food. Many cookies can be made for this holiday, but here are two recipes to give you ideas of where to start in preparing that holiday meal! One is a traditional oatmeal raisin recipe. The other is a vegan chocolate filled peanut butter cookie. Enjoy!

7. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies 

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup white sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 3/4 cups rolled oats

1 cup raisins (Second options would be chocolate chips if not everybody loves raisins!)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.

2. In large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.

3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fluffy.

4. Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

5. Gradually beat into butter mixture.

6. Stir in oats and raisins (or chocolate chips).

7. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool slightly, remove from sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

8. Vegan Chocolate Filled Peanut Butter Cookies 

Image and Recipe Source

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or cup-for-cup gluten-free flour blend

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

1 cup organic smooth peanut butter

1 cup agave nectar

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 bar vegan fair-trade dark chocolate, cut into squares

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a fork to sift.

3. In a large bowl combine the peanut butter, agave nectar, olive oil, and vanilla. Whisk to thoroughly combine.

4. Pour the flour mixture over the peanut butter mixture and stir until just barely combined.

5. Take a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and press an indentation in the center. Add a square of chocolate to the indentation. Fold the edges over to completely cover the chocolate, taking care not to not work the dough too much. Place on the baking sheet and press to slightly flatten.

6. Bake for 12 minutes (or 10 minutes if you have made smaller cookies). Bake until just barely golden brown, taking care not to over-bake. Let cool five minutes on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Cover image source