burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Ways to Spice Up the LBD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

The little black dress is a classic go-to for a night out, but with the right accessories, you can wear it during the day as well.

Wear it on a bright, sunny day:

Throw a plaid shirt over your little black dress, and match it with a pair of Jack Rogers sandals for an easy, put-together look. You can even add on a small pendant or studs to add a classy touch.

Wear it on a cold, spring day:

It’s spring, but with Williamsburg’s unpredictable weather, layering is key to wearing a summer dress in the cold.

1) Stockings: Colored or printed stockings can add flare to your outfit. If you think that they will clash too much, nude stockings are always an option. These will keep your legs warm,  and if you get a color that matches your skin tone well enough, they are barely noticeable.

2) Boots: A large amount of the body’s heat loss comes from the feet. Boots are in style throughout the year, and there are options ranging from ankle to knee high. Reuse some of your winter collection, or even purchase a new pair; there are always cute styles on sale toward the end of the winter season. Additionally, wearing a thick pair of socks helps.  No one sees your socks anyways, so they can be as fuzzy as you want, and the warmth they bring will make you glad you wore them.

3) Scarf: Protecting your neck keeps the heat in as well. With a light color or net scarf, you can automatically look more put together. Additionally, it changes up the look, and with different colors, textures, and patterns, there are many options to choose from.

4) Sweaters and Cover Ups: Splurging on a cashmere or wool sweater can take you a long way. It’s extremely warm, and with a solid color, this article of clothing is an easy addition to throw on when you’re running out the door.

5) Jackets: Just because it’s warm indoors, doesn’t mean the same holds for outside. Chances are you are going to need an extra layer when you’re walking around, so make sure to take a jacket along. This way you have protection from the harsh weather, and can simply hang it up when you reach your destination.

Wear it out:

Finally, the classic way of wearing the little black dress: a night out. Choose between a statement necklace and earrings to spice up the look. I recommend a bright red lip color to stand out against the black. If you want a more dramatic look, create a smoky eye effect with a black or colored liner and black mascara; this will definitely make your eyes stand out. Pair with strappy heels (or wedges to last on those cobblestone paths), and you are good to go!