Why I’m Deleting Social Media For The Rest of 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I think we can all agree that technology, and more specifically social media, has essentially taken over our lives. With the constant flow of new technology, new information, new people and new media, it feels like we are never able to unplug and step away. Reading a book, paying attention to class, spending time with others and going outside have become literal challenges to many people as the addiction to technology has increased. Now, amid a pandemic, the amount of time people are spending on social media and staring at a screen has skyrocketed even more. I will openly, and not so proudly, admit that I have spent the majority of my time in the past many months solely staring at a screen. Most people make new year’s resolutions, but I think it’s time we start making mid year resolutions too, and I’m starting with deleting social media.

A woman looking at the Instagram sign up page
Photo by Tofros.com from Pexels

The scariest part of this “experiment” is the fact that I am so scared to do it. I shouldn’t feel nervous to delete social media. I shouldn’t feel worried to spend my time away from my phone. I shouldn’t have this constant nagging to flip my phone over and open every app I have. But, the fact that I feel this way is exactly why I NEED to do this. I guess I should probably give somewhat of an explanation as to why this came up all of a sudden, especially amidst a time when social media is crucial to spreading news and staying connected to what is happening in the world. Not to mention, it’s also a time where we feel as though we have nothing else to do than go on social media. Recently, after getting a notification that my average daily screen time was over eight hours, I went into crisis mode. The fact that I was spending a third of my day staring at a tiny little screen and not enjoying life and spending my time with the people around me made me super upset.

Then, of course since our phones track everything we do, I all of a sudden got a recommendation on Amazon for a book called Notes on a Nervous Planet by: Matt Haig. Now when I tell you this book was life changing, I actually mean it. It really made me do a 180 and realize that deleting social media for a while and stepping away from technology as much as possible was not only important, but truly necessary. There have been so many different studies done that prove the negative and harmful impacts of social media and the internet and this book really articulated that, in a way, was relatable and understandable. I quickly realized that I needed to make a change for myself and for my well being.

group studying
Photo by Marvin Meyer from Unsplash
Now that we have the back story, I feel it’s also important that I explain how I am going to be doing this. As a college student, every aspect of our lives whether it be school, friends, family, clubs, work, etc. utilize social media, which is where a bit of a road block comes in. I took some time and came up with a plan that I felt would be productive both to my experiment of deleting social media, but also staying in contact and staying informed with the information I need. I decided to delete essentially everything other than Facebook and Snapchat. I felt that the rest could be useful, but ultimately came to the decision that they weren’t necessary. Facebook and Snapchat are two apps that many of my clubs and the friends I live far away from utilize to stay in contact. After deleting the rest of the apps, I realized that I couldn’t just have free reign of the ones that I kept. So, I set very, VERY, low screen limits on them to make sure that I am only using them for what I actually need and not getting sucked into the black hole that is social media. I mean really, you go on an app expecting to look at a couple pictures and then you look at the time and it has been three hours – this is something that I wholeheartedly want to avoid.

I guess overall, I just really want to make some life changes. There are so many good things that can come out of taking a break from social media and technology, but I picked a few that seemed important and relevant to me personally. The first, and main thing, is that in terms of my social life, I want to focus on being more intentional with my time and more present when I am spending time with others. I don’t want to be thinking about anything related to my phone, or even physically using my phone. I want to be there, and enjoy the time I have, because as cheesy as it is to say, life is short. The second thing, well I guess group of things, is increased happiness and mental health, as well as increased productivity. Social media and the internet take a huge toll on people’s minds and hearts, and I can see that manifesting in my own life. I want to take that immense amount of time I had spent with my phone and put it towards growing as a person, getting work done and doing more of what I love. The last main goal I have is to just get out and do more. Spend more time with people and more time outside, safely of course since we are in a pandemic, and just make as many memories as I can. As cliche as it is, enjoying life and making memories is what it’s all about. Overall, I really just want to release myself from this phone addiction and get to a place where I can function day to day without thinking about social media and my phone constantly.

TikTok Body Image
Photo by You X Ventures on Unsplash

It’s kind of insane to think that we are at a point in time where deleting social media for a few months is worth writing an article about, but it is what it is, I guess! Don’t you all worry, I will make sure to write an article in the new year and update you all on how this went. But, in the meantime, I hope some of you even choose to do this with me! It is oddly nerve-wracking and scary, especially as a college student who faces major FOMO, but I am ready. There is so much more to life than a screen, and time is too precious to spend five hours straight on Tik Tok. It’s time to get some sh*t done! Social media gone, progress ahead!

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there\'s a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.
Free-Photos | Pixabay

Rachel Holt

Wisconsin '21

Rachel is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison studying Retailing & Consumer Behavior, Communication Arts, Digital Studies and Entrepreneurship. She loves fall, 'snoozles' with her pug, and Harry Potter.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!