nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Am in BRIDGE at UW-Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

“Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” –Anais Nin

Growing up, my family always preached that life is about the people I meet and memories I forge with those people. Therefore, at an early age, I’ve developed an unyielding drive to seek out opportunities that will broaden the world for me.

When I started at UW-Madison, I actively sought for an organization that would feed this desire of mine. One of the great things about UW-Madison is that it’s home to a wide range of programs that can stretch a person’s sense of the world. Nonetheless, with so many options, how do you know which one will be the best for you?

A friend of mine introduced me to the club BRIDGE. With his simple explanation, I intuitively knew I had to join. BRIDGE’s objective is to unite international students and U.S. citizens together so that together they can learn, share, explore, challenge and evolve as inquirers of the world. It encourages its participants to step out of their comfort zone and experience something different and new with people from all corners of the world. By listening to my intuition to join, I’ve created friendships with people that’ll surpass the test of time.

The weekend before Thanksgiving 2018, six BRIDGE members and I all went on a road trip to Toronto, Canada. All of us were essentially strangers at the beginning of this semester. Now, our weekend filled with card games, inside jokes, dance parties, poutine and the 14-hour car ride there and back will forever be ingrained in our hearts as a weekend filled with people who have made my world a happier, more memorable place.

Additionally, I’ve been able to explore unique opportunities in Madison with my partner Seito that I otherwise wouldn’t have. One evening, Seito and I listened to the climber Mark Synnott talk about how he’s shaped the world around him by the activities that he’s been part of. He, too, stressed the idea that life is best lived when you’re surrounded by people who value understanding the world more in-depth.

Clubs like BRIDGE open doors to meet new people and expand your world. Through this expansion, the goal is to hopefully figure out which parts of life are truly important. People will always enter and exit your life. For me, this is motivation to grasp life’s generous moments by its horns and take full advantage of all the possibilities that could be.

The people I have met through BRIDGE have reminded me how life should be lived — with people!

Elizabeth Parker is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. Although her academic path is ambiguous, she is passionate about education, films, and self-love. You can find her reading a book at the Olbrich Madison Botanical Gardens or practicing yoga in her free time. Elizabeth enjoys spending time with friends, playing card games, and learning new things. Elizabeth hopes to educate her viewers with valuable information whether it be from savvy saving techniques to the best films for your lazy Sundays. You can follow Elizabeth's ever-changing college experience through her Instagram! (@lyzzi_parker)
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!