samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentia Coffee: A New Coffee Shop in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Let’s face it- college students would not survive without coffee. And at the University of Wisconsin, when it is almost a competition to find a spot in Colectivo or Starbucks, students need to have multiple options when setting out to study for the day. Well, good news collegiettes, there’s a new coffee shop in town!

For over ten years, CoffeeBytes had been the lone coffee shop in the very center of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. Located on University Square, there is little space for new business expansion. So when the owners, Jean and John Wilson, decided to retire, the space was quickly bought by a younger couple with big ideas for their new business.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/valentiacoffee/posts

David and Sarah Hale, the new owners of what is now Valentia Coffee, just opened their doors before the start of this UW school year and are already seeing the potential for success. The menu is now primarily coffee and specialty drinks, with a small (but very delicious) selection of food. The owners source their coffee through a local coffee roaster called Rusty Dog. The coffee is also reasonably priced, which is something fairly difficult to find downtown.

Source: https://www.channel3000.com/madison-magazine/dining-and-drink/new-madiso…

Valentia offers everything a college student would need-caffeine, convenience, and acceptable prices, but what about study space? If you have visited Coffee Bytes, you might remember that the shop itself is fairly small. A small space, in addition to a very well-trafficked route on campus, obviously results in a “competitive” study spot. However, the new design of the shop has light colors, many large tables, and has enough coffee brewing that you might think you are inhaling the caffeine.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/valentiacoffee/posts/

Overall, Valentia is a great place to spend your study hours; just be careful to get there before class lets out or you may be waiting a while for your caffeine fix.

Allie Helein

Wisconsin '21

Sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Dietetics and Psychology
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!