Thoughts While Doing Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Yoga is known for being a great way to connect the mind, body, and spirit…well, in theory at least! Those of you yoga novices (like myself) know that in practice, it isn’t always that easy. I recently tried a one-month trial at a local hot yoga studio, and here’s what happened as a result: 

I am so ready for this class! I am going to be a kick-ass yogi!!

Wait, am I supposed to be sweating this much before class has even started??

Why don’t I look as good as everyone else? Is it their outfits? I need to buy new yoga clothes!!

Yeah, there is no way I can bend like that. Nope.

Another chaturanga flow? I think I’ll just meet you guys in down dog.

Controlled breathing? Okay, I can do that!

Are my limbs supposed to be shaking like Jell-o?

Now I’m supposed to stand on my head?? Right, because that is something I can definitely do.

Is it frowned upon to fall asleep during final savasana?

Is it over? Am I finally done?

So, that wasn’t my best practice ever, but hey, there’s always next week!

Yoga can be frustrating, but remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your yoga skills won’t either! Be patient and have fun!

Namaste.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!