This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Everything you need to relax after a long week

There is truly nothing better after a long week than a night dedicated to relaxation. Finding ways to destress, let go of responsibilities and pamper yourself can do wonders for your mental and emotional health. Scheduling nights like these has become so important to me, and is something you should prioritize too, because trust me, you deserve a break. Remember that this should be a night of relaxation, so feel free to personalize this itinerary to have the most comforting evening for you!

Everything shower

Starting off with my favorite way to decompress – washing away any stress from the day. If you are unfamiliar with the phrase, an “everything shower” is a full routine that involves anything and everything you do in the shower, all in one. This includes washing your hair, exfoliating, shaving (if you prefer to), hair/face masks, etc. You can also bring a speaker to play your favorite music or listen to a podcast. After you dry off, change into your most comfy clothes, moisturize and do your full skincare routine.

Comfort meal

After feeling refreshed and comfortable, it’s time to settle in and have a delicious dinner. You can either make something easy or order take-out from your favorite restaurant. I love making grilled cheese and tomato soup as a simple meal or ordering sushi from my go-to spot. Along with this, grab your favorite drink, make hot chocolate or brew some tea.

Turn on your favorite show

If you order food, light a candle and start watching a comfort show or movie while you wait for it to be delivered. My go-tos are usually reality TV shows, cheesy romances or early 2000s movies. I highly recommend Gilmore Girls, especially at this time of year as we’re approaching colder weather. Continue watching as you enjoy your dinner, and maybe even do some online shopping too.

Bake something

If you’re like me and love something sweet after dinner, baking is the perfect activity for a night in. So grab a pre-made brownie mix, or if you’re up for it, try a new recipe from scratch. With winter approaching, there is no better time to bake something delicious like chocolate chip cookies or banana bread. While waiting for your dessert to bake, enjoy the smell of freshly baked goods and choose your favorite self-care activity. Some of my favorites are putting on a facemask, self-tanning or giving myself a manicure and pedicure.

Wind-down activities

Before heading to bed, end the night by doing something to calm your mind and setting yourself up for a restful night of sleep. This can include just about anything, but for me I enjoy scrolling through Pinterest, reading on my Kindle or journaling. I usually do this for 20-30 minutes or until I find myself drifting off to sleep.

If you’ve decided to keep your weekend plans chill, I highly recommend making the most of it by enjoying your early nights. Sometimes I find comfort in having a night-in alone, and other times I love inviting friends over for a night like this. Either way, take the time to care for yourself and enjoy your relaxing night!

Megan Basil

Wisconsin '26

Hi! My name is Megan and I am a freshman at UW-Madison. I am currently thinking of studying environmental science or biology! In my free time I like going to the gym, rock climbing, journaling, and spending time with friends. I am so excited to start writing for Her Campus.