Shooting for Glory: Badger Women’s Hockey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The women of the Wisconsin Badgers Women’s Hockey team have had quite a season so far. Ranked number one in the country, the team holds a 13-3 record in conference and 23-3 record overall. With wins over opponents like number 2 Minnesota and number 4 Princeton, the ladies are on their way to success.

Last season, the women’s hockey team’s season came close to a national championship, falling just short in the Frozen Four after being defeated in overtime against Colgate. The Badgers finished the season 31-5-2-0 overall and 20-2-2-0 in the Western conference. In addition to this tremendous season, the team finished undefeated at home.

Coached by Mark Johnson in his 16th season, the ladies continue to lead in national rankings. The team’s power play is the best in the country, with at least 9 different players scoring on their opponent’s mistakes. Senior Annie Pankowski leads the team in goals scored while Junior Abby Roque leads in assists.The last teams on their agenda before the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) Playoffs in March include Bemidji State, Minnesota State, Minnesota Duluth, and Ohio State. From there, the team intends to compete for a national title. With four national titles in the program’s history, the Badgers look to add a fifth and the first since 2011 under their belts.

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.