Say Bye Bye to Junk Food and Hello to Healthier Sweet Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Candy, ice cream, cookies, cakes— the list of delectable desserts goes on forever. Resisting any treat that has sugar as its main ingredient is difficult. It doesn’t help when you have a roommate whose mom prepares the one dessert you have a weakness for. That delicious dessert your roommate is now sitting on your counter waiting for you to devour it. It is almost as if your roommate’s mom is trying to force that freshman fifteen on you! “That’s it,” you think— you know that the minute you try one little bite of those homemade chocolate chip cookies you are DONE for. Luckily, there is a way to back off from the cookies and still get your sugar-fix.

1. Frozen Yogurt (not the kind that tastes like ice cream)

One of my favorite sweet treats to have, especially after a long day of school, is frozen yogurt. It is easy and cheap! I like to buy a couple of different Yoplait flavors and just pop them into the freezer. Wait a couple of hours and then voila: frozen yogurt!

1. Fresh Fruit

You can never go wrong with fresh fruit. Fruits like raspberries, grapes, blueberries, strawberries will easily satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth.

1. Fruit Smoothie

If fresh fruit starts to bore you, bring out the blender! Add yogurt, milk or orange juice, and ice alongside your favorite fruits. Blend until the mixture reaches your desired consistency and enjoy with a swirly straw for fun.

1. Graham Crackers with Peanut Butter

Another easy treat without hassle is graham crackers with peanut butter. Grab some of those graham crackers you have from this fall’s s’more-making and smear on some peanut butter. Delicious!

1. Trail Mix

The best part about making your own trail mix is that you get to put whatever you want into it! Here are some ingredients you could use as a base for your trail mix: a nut of some type (or two), dried fruit, pretzels, a chocolate/peanut butter chips or M&Ms, and if you are feeling adventurous, cereal (Chex or Cheerios).

1. Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas

I don’t even like regular bananas, but I love this sweet treat. Though this treat takes a little extra prep work, it is well worth it at the end. Peel the bananas and cut each one in half. Insert one popsicle stick into the bottom of each banana-half and freeze them. Once the bananas are frozen, cover them in liquid chocolate, and place them on a baking sheet. If you want to get fancy, add toppings like crushed peanuts or mini chocolate chips and place the chocolate covered bananas in the freezer once more. Enjoy!

1. Granola Bars

If you are looking for something sweet and requires ZERO prep, granola bar is the answer. A chocolate chip granola bar would usually do the trick, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the other flavors.

1. Dark Chocolate

Yes, it is chocolate, but unlike milk chocolate, dark chocolate is way healthier for you! If an entire dark chocolate bar tempts you too much into eating the entire thing in one sitting, try a small bag of individually wrapped chocolates. Bonus: you can easily throw one of them into your purse or backpack when you are on the go.

The next time your roommate brings home an entire container of cupcakes, you won’t feel the urging temptation to eat one— or two, or three—like you used to. Instead, you’ll turn to chocolate covered frozen bananas or granola bars. Who knows, maybe your roomie will be inspired by your sweet treats and ditch the cupcakes!

SaveSave

SaveSave

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!