Quick and Easy Ways to Cut “Cals” From Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether you experienced it or not, the freshman 15 is a real thing! Going on a diet takes effort, but here are a few easy ways to kick some extra calories out of your daily diet!

Just drink water!

Okay, I know you need your morning coffee, but after that, just stick to water. Getting in the habit of drinking water all the time will stop you from drinking all the soda and fruity drinks you normally consume. And don’t be fooled by the zero calorie drinks or the ones that say “diet” because artificial sweeteners can’t be good for you and studies show that diet drinks can still lead to weight gain. Seriously, Google it! Of course drinking your favorite sugary drinks are fine in moderation.

There are so many benefits to drinking water too, like keeping yourself hydrated also makes you feel more awake, and it makes your skin look super healthy. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather eat my calories than drink them!

Don’t munch after 8 PM.

I’m super guilty of eating a late night bowl of cereal while I watch Netflix right before I go to bed. But food gives us energy and it’s really not needed right before we sleep.  If you have a sweet tooth at night, try not to eat your dessert too late.

Leave the bag of chips behind when watching TV.

Everybody loves to munch while they watch their favorite shows. Next time, don’t grab the whole bag of chips, just put a serving in a bowl and bring that to the couch with you.

Don’t eat just to eat

Food is super tempting when it’s put out in front of you, but you should only eat when you’re hungry.  If you just ate 20 minutes ago, you don’t need some of the chips and salsa that your roommate just brought out! Eating when you’re hungry will save you the calories from mindless eating.  

Just a pinch!

You really don’t need the whole salt shaker to season your food. Try to wean yourself off of a diet in high sodium by putting less and less salt in your food. I’ve seen some of my best friends put extra salt in their ramen noodles and on their pizza. I mean honestly, you really don’t need more salt on that!

Take it slow…

So many people tease me because I eat really slowly, but it actually helps me out! When I eat slowly I can feel how full I am. When you scarf everything down on your plate you usually eat more than you really need. Eating slowly is helpful because you know when you become full, so you’re not over eating all the time.

In college it’s super hard to pay attention to your calorie consumption, but if you follow some of these tips you can definitely eliminate some extra calories from your diet. Maybe you could even lose the extra freshman 15 pounds if you exercise too…  ha-ha just kidding, who has time for exercise?!