ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

An Open Letter to Anyone Feeling Lost in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When I started college, I felt confident in my major and what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. But during my freshman year, I took classes that expanded my interests, and I added another major as well as a minor. As graduation looms closer, I’ve started to realize just how many things I can do after college, but instead of being reassured by all of these options, I often find myself overwhelmed.

After college, there is no set path, no correct answer to choose. Graduation is the point where you are in complete control of what you’re going to do next. While freedom is a great thing, it also comes with a lot of pressure to choose the “right” option.

Society tells us that after college we need to find a job related to our major and turn that into a career. But, this narrative fails to include the fact that most people switch careers several times during their lives and often end up in fields completely unrelated to their majors. Despite the pressure to pick a path and stick with it, very few people actually have the same career for their whole lives.

If you don’t know what you want to after school, that’s okay. If you aren’t sure what you want to major in or are thinking about changing your major, that’s okay, too. The major that you enter college with does not have to be the major you get a degree in. Just because you are interested in a field at 17-years-old doesn’t mean you won’t change your mind. College is a time for personal and academic growth, and this change can often result in new interests.

During your college career, you’re going to be exposed to new ideas and worldviews that you had no idea even existed before. As you discover new possibilities through classes, jobs, extracurriculars and internships, it is only natural that you’ll want to explore them. You might find a new field of study that suits you better, and that’s completely a part of the college process.

College is no small commitment, and that can add to the pressure to graduate in four years with your original major. Even though going into college undecided or changing your major after a few semesters can be daunting, it’s a step that many students end up taking.

It may seem like everyone else has it all figured out, but most college students question the path they’re on at some point or another. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you’re feeling doubt about your major — chances are your friends are going through the same thing. College is a place to get an education, but it’s also a place to find yourself, so don’t worry if you end up changing your mind.