This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The milk substitution industry continues to grow as more people are being turned off from milk due to a variety of concerns. It’s normal to assume that all milk alternatives are automatically the healthier choice; however, the reality is far more complicated. Read on to learn about the basic consequences of some of the most common milk substitutions.

Oat Milk

Oat milk has recently entered the limelight of milk substitutes. Initially, you may be confused by the idea of milk coming from oats, but don’t let your confusion hinder you from tasting this surprisingly hearty, delicious milk substitution.

Pro: It’s low in saturated fats, high in protein, and is the most environmentally-friendly milk option. It also has a similar texture and taste to 2% milk, and there’s just a little bit of an oaty aftertaste.

Con: Too young to have sufficient research about all the health consequences and hard to locate. As of now, Colectivo is the only place to offer this as a milk option. If you want to, you can make it at home by following Dawn Gifford’s recipe.

Almond Milk

Almond milk is the grandfather of milk substitutions, and its popularity does not waiver due to its known health benefits. But health benefits aside, almond milk has some severe environmental consequences.

Pros: High in vitamins, healthy fats and minerals and low calorie count.

Cons: Relatively low in protein and contributes to the extinction of bees.

Soy Milk

Soy milk tends to be my favorite milk substitute, especially when paired with chai lattes. Nonetheless, after learning about its hefty disadvantages, I am reconsidering my go-to milk substitution.   

Pros: Good source of protein, linked to lower cholesterol, low in saturated fat and fairly decent amount of calcium.  

Cons: Messes with hormonal levels, and usually increases estrogen levels. It has an acquired taste, is linked to thyroid problems, and is heavily sprayed with pesticides during production.

Rice Milk

It’s possible that this is the first time you have heard anything about rice milk, but it’s an alternative and it is quite a good choice.

Pros: No cholesterol or saturated fat, has vitamin B, selenium, and manganese levels. If you have food allergies, this is a good choice for you, as it is the least allergenic milk substitution.

Cons: No protein, no calcium and a relatively high amount of sugar. Plus, it looks like watered down milk—and kind of tastes like it.

Coconut Milk

Unlike the previous milk substitutions, the consequences of coconut milk are too unclear to deem it healthy or unhealthy. Some articles will praise its ability to increase belly fat loss due to the high amount of healthy fats; others will warn about the opposite. Also, its effect on cholesterol levels and its nutritional make-up are frequently debated. However, there is one constant: coconut is an allergen, so don’t be surprised if your body reacts negatively to this milk substitution.

The question of which milk substitution to consume is not a simple answer. Your reasons for leaving milk at the grocery store plays an important role in your decision. Additionally, research and fads are always evolving which only makes this decision more difficult.  When in doubt, do your research and remember—not all milk substitutions are equal!

Elizabeth Parker is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. Although her academic path is ambiguous, she is passionate about education, films, and self-love. You can find her reading a book at the Olbrich Madison Botanical Gardens or practicing yoga in her free time. Elizabeth enjoys spending time with friends, playing card games, and learning new things. Elizabeth hopes to educate her viewers with valuable information whether it be from savvy saving techniques to the best films for your lazy Sundays. You can follow Elizabeth's ever-changing college experience through her Instagram! (@lyzzi_parker)
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!