This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As someone who used to dread it

If you asked any of my friends a year ago, they would’ve for sure told you that I hated running. Up until about a year ago when my friend who has loved running for years asked me if I wanted to join her for a trail run, they would’ve been right. But, ever since then, I’ve been going for a jog 1 to 2 times a week when it’s nice out, and I’ve found a love for it. Below are some tips that I prioritize when I just can’t seem to find the motivation.

1. Make a new playlist

Music you love is crucial for enjoying your run. I already have a gym playlist, but I recently made a special playlist just for running. Filled with Goth Babe and Tame Impala, this playlist keeps me motivated and excited to get out and get moving. I also like to switch it up sometimes by listening to a podcast to keep my mind busy.

2. Download a running app

This was a game-changer for me. I personally use Strava, which allows you to track distances, pace and elevation. You can also use it for other activities, like hiking, rock climbing and even paddle boarding. My favorite part of this app is the ability to share your activities with your friends on the app, including pictures, videos and captions. It’s so motivating to get comments from my friends hyping me up and seeing other people’s posts. Plus, if you’re serious about running, the app tracks your pace and you can see when you hit new PRs.

3. Take the pressure off of it

Especially on low-energy days when I have to drag myself out the door to go for a run, I emphasize taking my time with it and listening to my body. Understanding that not every run needs to be my fastest or highest effort has really kept me from getting burnt out. By slowing down my runs and not worrying about pace, I can take time to focus on how I’m feeling and be grateful for the ability to move my body at that moment. I also love just getting outside to go for a walk and possibly run if I feel up for it.

4. Find new routes

I don’t know about you, but I find that time moves 10 times slower when running on a treadmill. Because of this, I absolutely love running outside and changing up my routes. This past summer I got really into trail running, which allows me to explore state parks and trails while also getting my body moving.

Overall, the best way to keep running fun and motivating is to make every time different from the last. Variety is key for me when it comes to exercise, and switching up my music, pace, or routes is my favorite way to include it in my running workouts.

Megan Basil

Wisconsin '26

Hi! My name is Megan and I am a freshman at UW-Madison. I am currently thinking of studying environmental science or biology! In my free time I like going to the gym, rock climbing, journaling, and spending time with friends. I am so excited to start writing for Her Campus.