Crudites
Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

How to Live Plant Based in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

First, let’s make note of the words “plant-based” versus the daunting “vegan”, if you’re trying to clean up your eating habits and want to try eliminating some of the more toxic foods in your diet, plant-based is for you. Following a plant-based diet can be challenging in any environment, but with a limited budget and more fast food chains than grocery stores, living plant based in college sounds nearly impossible. Notice how I said nearly? It is very much possible, and here’s how you can do it.

Let’s start with our beloved dining halls. If you’re a freshman and prefer to spend your housing money instead of living off the very tight budget your bank account allows, the dining halls are where you want to be. At first glance your options are pizza, wings, burgers, and the occasional Mexican dish, but if you take a closer look, you will find you can modify previously animal-dominated meals to be completely plant-based. For example, at the sandwich station, skip the meat and cheese and load your sub with the countless veggies they offer. You can also combine snacks to make one larger meal, grab some togo veggies and hummus and pair it with some soup and crackers for an easy dinner!

Roased Veg
Christin Urso / Spoon
It may seem tricky to make a filling meal without your usual meat and dairy staples, but if you’re the chef of the house, cooking plant-based is easier than you think. The easiest thing you can do to help yourself is prepping your meals. Having chopped veggies in your fridge can make throwing together a roasted veggie rice bowl and salad simple and quick. Meals come in all shapes and sizes, if you normally eat one plate of steak and potatoes, you can double that serving size when you substitute chickpeas or tofu. Double the food, double the delight.

food in containers
Pexels
One of the main complaints people often have with a plant-based diet is cost and availability. I will admit, if you walk into Walgreens or a Badger Market, it will not scream “plant-based,” but the options are still there. The trick is shopping strategically. For example, I would refrain from buying 12 bananas at once as their shelf life will most likely not match how fast you go through bananas (unless you’re into eating 12 bananas at once, then knock yourself out). Buying in bulk can save you money if you utilize the produce you buy and don’t wait until it goes bad to use it. If you’re still struggling to find cheap, available produce, you may want to look into ordering from an imperfect produce company that sells “ugly” produce for cheaper.

Banana Bunch
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Deciding to transition to a plant-based lifestyle can be challenging and it’s often easy to let life’s curveballs get in the way, but if you’re dedicated and excited, it will be a walk in the park! Instead of thinking about all of the food you’re missing out on, think about all the food you get to try. Buraka’s vegetarian peanut stew, anyone?

Bella Pitzo

Wisconsin '23

Bella is currently a Freshman at UW Madison studying Nutrition and Dietetics, hoping to attend graduate school and become a Registered Dietician. Bella was born and raised in Wisconsin and is the fourth member of her family to attend UW Madison. Bella loves Badger football, running, and cooking healthy treats for her friends!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.