This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Nearly everyone has experienced some aspect of the “fear of missing out”. This societal fear has become pronounced during the pandemic as gatherings often tend to exclude people because of group restrictions. Sometimes, people need to miss out on events because they are physically distanced, or have conflicting plans, or work, etc. No matter the reason, it happens. It’s a very real third world issue when you can see how much fun everyone seems to be having with one swipe on your phone.  

The key thing to remember when you start feeling anxious about missing out on the creation of inside jokes is that you are doing what you need to do by not being there. Be present in your own moment. If you need to be doing work, consider the long-term paybacks of your hard work and stay motivated. Whatever you are doing instead, even if it feels like you’re bored and lonely, will make you into the person you are meant to be. You may be able to develop new hobbies in your free time that you otherwise would not have if you constantly filled it with social time.   
woman outside with laptop
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash
Another thing to be aware of is your root reason for the anxiety around missing out. Do you even want to be having that experience or do you want to do it so others can know you were there and did it too? People tend to be jealous of others’ experience despite the fact that they would likely not even personally enjoy the same event.   FOMO generally stems from a lack of self-love and not being able to enjoy quality time alone with yourself and your own thoughts. Yet, the person we spend the most time with in our lives will always be yourself. So, it is important to learn to enjoy being alone without being lonely.  
woman painting pattern on white wall with yellow paint
Pixaby/Pexels
No matter the surface level reason why you were not invited or cannot attend an event, you can overcome the fear of missing out by examining and working on your internal causes for this form of anxiety. If you feel isolated, go out and find people who will care for you as you do for them. They’re out there, I promise. If you need to focus on school or work, remember that there is time for short-term entertainment as long as your main priority remains your work. Go out and treat yourself on occasion. Discipline and balance are critical to managing the symptoms of FOMO to keep yourself focused on your own needs.  

Soumika is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying zoology and environmental studies on a pre-veterinary track. She loves reading, hiking, and adventuring with friends when she's not busy studying or cuddling with animals.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!