How To: Balance Time in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As college students, there is always something we should be doing. Hopefully, I’m not the only one who feels guilty if I’m not doing something school related…like watching countless hours of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. What we forget is that life is all about balance. It’s not healthy to lock ourselves in the library every hour of the day and constantly be worried about school. Not to mention, it’s a proven fact that one is much more successful and productive when they split up their time.  It’s especially important to take time to yourself! So, don’t feel bad taking the time out of your day to relax. Here are three simple tips to find ways in your everyday, busy schedule to take some needed “ME” time!

1. Rise n’ Shine

I totally understand as a college student, that any opportunity to sleep is golden. But, one of the best times to get your thoughts together and relax is in the morning. Set your alarm just 30 minutes before you would normally wake up. Giving yourself time to enjoy your cup of coffee, catch up on your E! News, and slowly getting ready for the day does wonders!

1. Afternoon Delight

We’ve all hit that point during a busy day when you are passed the point of comprehension, that “2 o’clock” feeling is oh so real! When that time comes in the afternoon, it’s time to treat yourself to your second dose of “me” time.  It isn’t productive to just sit there and try to retain knowledge that’s going in one ear and out the other! Sit down, enjoy a little treat, and try not to think about anything. After adding 75 pins to your boards on Pinterest and consuming a delicious Chai Tea latte, I can guarantee you’ll be ready to take on the rest of your day!

1. Evening Bliss

So you’ve worked your butt off all day long, but you’re still thinking of more schoolwork that you should be getting done. Come up with a reasonable time that you will stop doing (and thinking) about schoolwork. Pick this time so you have a half hour before you want to go to bed. Before you hit the sheets, give yourself time to unwind; watch that episode of Grey’s Anatomy you missed last week, or catch up on the latest post on Her Campus Madison! You’ll find yourself relaxed resulting in a fabulous night of beauty sleep, not that any of us campus cuties even need it… But I can guarantee it’ll create a cycle of great days to come.

These tips are very little things you can add into your day. There are many benefits to scheduling time for yourself into your day. It’s motivation to get schoolwork done and it sure is a relief when the time comes to stop stressing. Even if you feel like you don’t have time to take out of your day, make time! Taking care of yourself should be one of your number one priorities.  Plus, how can you say no to a recommended chocolate break… that’s nearly impossible!