pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Honest Thoughts From a Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

My most vivid memory is the moment my parents left after moving me in: my freshman year roommate and I sat on the futon crying and wondering, “Now what?”

1323 days later, I’m sitting on the steps at the Terrace, trying to figure out how to write what the past four years at the University of Wisconsin has meant to me. As I watch workers place the chairs for my final Terrace season, and future Badgers climb the giant Terrace chair, I’m struggling with the thought of leaving in a few short weeks. Have I accomplished everything here I wanted to? Before you write this post off as another sappy senior message, take a moment to read my final bits of advice for making the fastest four years of your life, the very best.

1. Take the class you don’t have time for. When will you ever again be able to indulge yourself in fairytales or take a class on pets?  

2. Stop thinking your paper is more important than the first warm spring day. You deserve a break, and this campus is too beautiful not to take one.

3. Join the student org that doesn’t match your major. For me, joining Her Campus freshman year as a communications sciences and disorders major changed my life. You never know who will impact your future. 

4. Go to your professors’ office hours. That scary teacher you think has something out for you might turn out to be the best mentor.

5. Take a risk, but do so safely. You deserve to make those memories you can’t wait to look back on and laugh, but don’t compromise everything you’ve worked hard for.

6. On the flipside, when your friends tell you to go out, do it. A few short years down the line, those friends who could meet you for a $4 Chasers margarita on any Wednesday will be across the country. You’ll regret every bad dance move you didn’t make, and every hilarious selfie you didn’t take.

7. Mentor an underclassmen. Professors and co-workers are great influencers, but your life is relevant and helpful to someone in the position you were a few years ago.

8. Don’t ask yourself if the limit exists when it comes to Babcock ice cream— it doesn’t. 

9. Your best friends right now probably won’t be the same 365 days from now. Find the ones that want to stick around and invest as much time into them as you can.

10. Take advantage of everything this University offers for free— your bank account will thank you. Go to movies at the Marquee, eat the free bagels on Bascom, use your Wiscard for discounts at stores, and always take the free coffee.

11. Call your mom, call your dad. 

12. Find something that will make you laugh, and do it often. 

13. Take the spring break trip you can’t afford… and appreciate all the Badgers you run into while on it. 

14. You DO need to sign a lease unreasonably early, but you DON’T have to stay in a toxic living environment.

15. Take care of yourself and your mental health. We’re lucky to have amazing, free mental health services through University Health Services.

16. Don’t hold yourself back. You’re in charge of how much is accomplished in your time here. So don’t let a relationship, friendship, or anyone else prevent you from doing it all. (You can!)

17. Let these years be the best four years of your life. If you’re currently reading this and thinking it has been otherwise, change it.

Before long, your 1323 days will have passed, and it will have left you wondering where four years have gone. Take the time you don’t think you have, and do everything you’ve wanted to do. While I’m in denial of my looming graduation—or the strong senior slide I’m on— I can’t imagine having spent the past four years anywhere else. From a Badger Alum to a future one: On, Wisconsin.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!