This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

By changing habits and perspectives

Along with the fall semester of my sophomore year came a lot more responsibilities, time commitments and difficult classes. This is also my first college semester working a part-time job, which has added to my busy schedule. With this, I’ve learned how to shift my perspective on productivity while also finding effective ways to manage stress.

I’ve found that usually, my stress stems from feeling like I don’t have time for everything I need to get done in the day. With this, I think it’s important to understand that it’s okay to not accomplish everything you set out the day to do. Instead, I focus on prioritizing what really needs to get done while allowing myself time to rest. Sometimes I feel guilty for skipping a workout or studying less than I would have liked to in order to sleep a full eight hours or hang out with friends, but then I remind myself that it’s okay to prioritize rest and enjoyment during busy time periods in my life. My mental and physical health is equally important, if not more important, as school, and without making time for both I know I would get burnt out. Giving myself grace and comfort when I am less productive than I would have liked to be has helped me significantly reduce stress. Aside from shifting my mindset and being kinder to myself, there are also daily practices I’ve incorporated to keep my mind at peace.

The first thing I’ve added to my daily routine is increasing awareness around my phone use. I try my best to not go on my phone right when I wake up and directly before I go to bed. By getting up and moving right when I wake up, instead of checking my phone, I set myself up for a productive day. I find that when I’m stressed, scrolling on my phone only makes it worse, so I try to put my phone down and go for a walk, read for a bit or just sit and take deep breaths instead. This includes listening to music or podcasts as well. While this entirely depends on the person, I think it’s much more calming to walk to class without headphones on busy days.

Another thing that I swear by is writing down my thoughts. When I have a million thoughts in my head I find so much peace in making a list of the things I have to do. I have a “to-do” list on my phone specifically for this. I also find peace in journaling about anything and everything on my mind. This can be so relaxing, especially right before bed. I love pairing this with hot tea and dimming the lights in my room to really romanticize it.

With midterm season in full swing, fall can be an especially stressful time. While doing well in school is always important to me, I also emphasize caring for my well-being. By also prioritizing sleep, making time to see friends, and allowing myself to rest, I have found a balance between school and free time in a way that benefits both my grades and mental health.

Megan Basil

Wisconsin '26

Hi! My name is Megan and I am a freshman at UW-Madison. I am currently thinking of studying environmental science or biology! In my free time I like going to the gym, rock climbing, journaling, and spending time with friends. I am so excited to start writing for Her Campus.