This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Maybelline may help you get the “London look,” but what about the Parisian look? More importantly, how does our American look match up to them?  There seems to be a constant need to meet high expectations, and exerting a lot of effort to do so.  The effortlessly chic vibe of the French girls makes us all envious, but their simple secrets are easy enough to emulate in your daily routine.  A side-by-side comparison between our habits and theirs may help us pinpoint the differences and how exactly we can make some changes.  Here we break down how to be French in every way possible—in fashion, beauty, health, fitness, and life!

Fashion

America

Our typical sartorial cycle goes something like this: One day we decide to dress up for class and put on a cute dress with a cardigan and boots, then the next we throw our hair up and scrub it in sweats and an oversized shirt.  On the one hand, other girls passing by will give you the stink eye for looking good for your 8am.  Flip side, and you will be the target of pity eyes as you try to make your way across campus undetected.  Neither scenario is ideal, which calls for striking a better balance in your personal style.  Whether you prefer a preppy, boho, or grunge vibe, the same universal fashion principle still holds: To combine comfort with style in the most laid-back, I-woke-up-like-this way.

France

French girls have nailed this fashion principle.  Coco Chanel essentially created the elegance and timelessness of French fashion.  First, never underestimate the power of wearing black as it is the color of ultimate sophistication.  A favorite fabric to pair with this dark hue is of course the romantic, flirty look of lace.  Lastly, no outfit is complete without a fun, feminine and flirty scarf. No matter how you choose to incorporate French flair into your personal fashion taste, you’ll look cool and effortless without the hassle.

Beauty

America

It may be fair to make this generalization: we are complete product junkies.  Our bathroom counters are overrun with our endless cosmetic collection and we still manage to find a new nail polish color every time we go to Walgreens.  Organizing this chaos is a daunting task, and we probably don’t even need or use many of these so called “must-have products.”  Messy morning regimens lead to unwanted stress, not to mention all the chemicals may not be doing our hair and skin as many favors as we would like to think.

France

The French girl’s approach to beauty can adequately be described as an aura. French girls don’t use makeup as a mask to cake on; they instead use the bare essentials to enhance their natural look.  This usually includes a little bit of concealer, some blush, mascara, and the quintessential red lip.  With their minimalist approach to makeup, they invest a lot more time in taking care of their skin.  French girls always use moisturizer before bed and make facials a weekly requirement.  Have you ever seen a French girl with a big blowout?  Never.  Instead they will literally jump from the shower to the cobblestone streets with wet hair.  If you are looking for that special something, a signature, classic scent goes a long way.  Investing in a couple good products like a moisturizer and perfume will be much be much worthy of your time and money.

Health

America

We have taken every possible angle when it comes to diets, from fat-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and carb-free.  And yet, our dieting efforts are often short-lived and back fire when we are faced with a mouthwatering plate of cookies.  Often avoiding certain foods, what we really lack is balance. 

France

We’ve all heard of the infamous book by Mireille Guiliano, French Women Don’t Get Fat.  How does that work?  Well, the answer certainly isn’t in dieting.  Besides, it’s not like avoiding sweets or carbs would be possible in a country known for their delectable croissants and colorful macaroons.  Instead, the French subscribe to the notion of everything in moderation, so that you can enjoy eating whatever you like, but in more sensible portions.  They prefer to enjoy eating, and make mealtimes a social event to share with friends.  There is no need to avoid dessert as long as you don’t overdo it.  Ultimately, this is the strategy that will keep you healthy for the long haul.

Fitness

America

Much like our dieting, our relationship with fitness is largely a love-hate.  We go through spurts of being gym rats to couch potatoes.  There are times where we feel the guilt of not going to the gym and other times where we don’t think twice about staying in with Netflix.  At the same time, we love taking our cars or the bus over walking whenever possible.

France

French girls follow the pleasure principle as diligently as marathoners follow a training schedule.  It means that they stay fit and keep with it by choosing activities they enjoy, whether that be biking or swimming.  Hardly ever will you find them inside a gym; as long as the weather permits, the outdoors are the ultimate fitness backdrop.  They don’t look at exercise as something that you have to go out of your way to do, but instead just make it a part of their daily routine.  Of course, shopping counts as cardio!

America

When it comes to our outlook on life, we often tend towards the negative.  A lot of people report being unhappy and stressed, whether that comes from working too much or not taking care of ourselves.  The pressure we feel from society and the media can drive anyone crazy.

France

Their laissez-faire approach to the stresses of life helps maintain their positive and sunny outlook.  They look for ways to simplify life and enjoy the journey.  Taking care of themselves is a top priority so that they can put their best foot forward.  They live life for themselves, and are all the happier for it.

A common thread seems to guide the French girl lifestyle; being confident is about being ourselves and doing what makes us happy, healthy, and beautiful.  It’s not about being the most perfect version of ourselves, but rather our natural, effortless selves.  Charm comes from being unique and true to who you are, and no one knows this better than the French girl.

Michelle Motyl is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison double majoring in Biology and Journalism. Her role models include Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy and Giuliana Rancic of E! News. Michelle believes her big city hometown of Chicago is second-to-none, and can be heard sharing random thoughts on her Twitter @MeeshtheKeesh. In her spare time, she enjoys reading the newest YA romance novels while sipping on skinny vanilla lattes, believing that the best men you will meet in life are those you find in books, not bars.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com