Girl Lying On Bed
Girl Lying On Bed
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In 2006, Fergie released her smash hit Big Girls Don’t Cry. While the song remains a bop, the message of the song tells girls that they can’t, and shouldn’t, cry in times of stress. Fergie may be a MILF, an icon, and The Dutchess herself, but in this case, she’s wrong.

It’s been a month of school and through the avalanche of snow, mountains of assignments, and piles of upcoming midterms, stress is likely to occur. Feeling stressed is a completely normal reaction to the stimuli around us, yet talking and thinking about stress can often be a struggle.

There are many ways to reduce stress on your own such as getting more sleep, managing your time more effectively and indulging in physical activity (have a dance party!). However, in my experience, the best way to reduce stress is by facing it head-on: by crying.

Although crying may seem like a ridiculous solution, crying has been found to make you feel better, no matter your mental state. While I wouldn’t recommend breaking down in the middle of lecture (or in another highly public setting), crying in the bathroom, on the walk to class, and in the privacy of your own home are definitely recommended.

If you are like me and find it difficult to cry when necessary, I have provided you with my tips and tricks to having the perfect mental breakdown.

1. Watch a sad TV show and/or movie

The Notebook gif
Giphy
Recommendations: This is Us, A Million Little Things, My Girl, The Pursuit of Happyness, or any Nicholas Sparks movie.

While it may seem weird to watch a sad movie to get a good cry, I promise that once the tears start flowing, they won’t stop. I gotta feeling (Get it? ‘Cuz Fergie?) that you will feel a lot better afterward.

2. Listen to dramatic music with a powerful message

Jonas Brothers
Giphy
Recommendations: Older, by Sasha Sloan, Drop in the Ocean, by Ron Pope, Hallelujah, by Jeff Buckley and Dancing on My Own, by Calum Scott.

While listening to the somber music, try having a dance party, do some stretches, or attempt yoga. Doing physical activity can release hormones and allow your body to relax more.

3. Call a loved one and start ranting

He\'s Just Not That Into You gif
Giphy
Tears are bound to occur in the midst of talking to a friend or family member. Even if you don’t cry, you will feel better for talking it out with someone who knows you well.

Not only will crying reduce your stress, but it will also release toxins, kill unwanted bacteria coated on the outer layer of skin, improve your vision (if you’re blind like me this is a real bonus), and overall improve your mood and mental health.

Whether you are worried about school, finding a job, or when you’ll have time to take a shower, crying is an excellent way to release stress and frustration. Sometimes you need a good cry even when you don’t realize it. Crying is natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Next time you watch a sad movie, let your eyes water. Let yourself be a big girl that does cry!

Peri Coskey

Wisconsin '21

Meet Peri! She's a senior majoring in Communication Arts and Sociology with minors in Digital Studies, Gender and Women's Studies and Entrepreneurship. Her favorite things to do are watch Veronica Mars, thrift shop and chill with friends. When Peri is not taking naps, she can be found hanging out with her friends, most likely talking their ears off. Interested in seeing more of Peri's work? Check out pericoskey.com!
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!