This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

You’ve done it. You’ve found the perfect apartment for the next year of your academic career with your best friends, and everything necessary to ensure success within the next year. Even more exciting, you’re practically an adult. The daydreams have begun about the legendary parties to be hosted, endless hours spent on the DIY Pinterest, and the planning of REAL meals.

It’s all very exciting and glam. Plus, your apartment management company are all smiles, making you feel perfectly at ease with the fact that you are signing your life away to them accompanied by thousands of your hard-earned dollars. “Oh yes the apartment will be spotless and clean; new carpeting and new paint, too! It will be ready for you to move-in and have the best freaking year yet, plus you’re getting an absolutely great deal on your rent because we love you.”  But, here’s the real story:

Move-in day:

It’s the middle of August and dreadfully hot. Whatever, you’re still excited. You pack up all your stuff, head to the management company to pick up the keys, wait for about an hour to do so, fine whatever, minor hiccup, get to the apartment. Hmm… no carts? Well, this will take a little longer than planned. Thank goodness you didn’t work out today because you’ll definitely get cardio time lugging boxes up the stairs. Quickly, you unload everything into your new room… or just drop it in the living room (organization is for later). You say goodbye to the lovely people who helped you move-in. Now, it’s time for some Chipotle to christen the new apartment! You sit down on your living room floor (your furniture is arriving at an undisclosed time), and you turn on Friends while simultaneously noticing that the carpet is soaking wet. Odd, seeing as how it was promised to be “new carpet.” Thank goodness there are loads of empty boxes and plastic bags to sit on to avoid the mystery carpet wetness from soaking your shorts and socks. Add that to the list, accompanied by the weird discoloration under the bathroom sink that sure looks a lot like mold…

Next day:

The smell of fresh paint is already beginning to fade, replaced by another odd smell probably coming from the still-wet carpet. Time to call the management company. You are then reassured that it’s only wet from the previous day’s carpet cleaning. Oh, well that’s brilliant. It’s not like you’re supposed to wait 24 HOURS to put something on a freshly cleaned carpet. So, why was the “new carpet” we received in need of cleaning already… *cough*cough* it’s definitely not new. As if the dingy look and slight crunch hadn’t given it away. It’s almost like walking on some fallen leaves come autumn. Screw it, we’re raiding the home decor section at Target. Armed with lots of pretty things, you return to your apartment and you are greeted with that same, odd smell from earlier, but now intensified tenfold, and it positively reeks. Don’t worry, carpet’s still wet.

Third day:

You call the management company again and have successfully determined that the weird smell is coming from the STILL WET carpet (that shouldn’t have been wet in the first place).  By the end of the night, the carpet is dry(!!), but still stained and crunchy.

Fourth day:

The management company agrees to re-clean the lovely carpet. Fabulous. Now it’s time to attempt a food other than take-out. Two of the four burners do not work. Classic. Oh, and you notice that the sink is not even on the countertop. They must’ve just forgotten to caulk it. Wait a second…this is a drop-in sink, no caulking required; the counter is warped. Since the sink doesn’t fit anymore, food may now get between the sink and counter making it a stellar breeding ground for all the bacteria. Calling all bacteriologists! This is your new research haven (please contact regarding: paid research studies only). Grabbing a pop-tart, you head to your room. You see a hole in your door. Add it to the ever-growing list.

Fifth day:

Time to do some laundry, which is conveniently located in your apartment!! Oop, the dryer is failing to dry anything. Clothes are now dawned with piles of lint… is that a sunflower seed? Don’t worry, maintenance should take care of it within the next month or so: aka by the time you move out, if you’re lucky. 

Sixth day:

Time to fill out the form listing all the things that need work and any defects present when you moved in…they really should give you some more space. Like a 5-subject notebook. Minimum.

Quite frankly, apartments can be a complete disaster, ultra-stressful, and a real pain in the arse. Once you learn to laugh about all of the stupid issues (we’re talking in 5 years or so), it can really be a great experience. Just keep a clear-head and use common sense when dealing with these issues. Make sure you stay on top of it, too! You don’t not want to lose your security deposit and be charged for something that was a problem when you moved in. Regardless, if you live with a great group of people, you’re going to have a great year sans doors, burners, and functional dryers among others. Just make sure you have BOTH management and maintenance on speed dial. You’re all going to be the best of friends by the end of the year. Best of luck in your renting endeavors in the Madison area! 

(Also, be wary of spiders, massive, human-eating spiders lurking in  your building that seem to thoroughly enjoy dropping down on you as you are leaving the building. Happy renting!)

I am a freshman at University of Wisconsin, Madison from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm studying Neurobiology and Spanish with the hope of attending medical school one day. I love food, fashion, coffee and traveling! My dream place to travel to is India. I plan on living in Seattle, Washington when I grow up!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!