This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Change for inspiration

Since I was young, I’ve had a crazy schedule. I was involved in multiple sports and teams at the same time, so my schedule was different every day. I enjoyed the busyness of my life, because I never knew what to expect on a given day. If I had one bad day, I knew that the next day would be different. Being so busy made time go extremely fast, and I was more efficient with school work. 

College life has helped keep me on my toes with the variety of schedules and assignments I have to complete. It is similar to having the same schedule as when I was younger, yet I usually know what to expect for the week. Still, every once in a while, I get an intense desire to change something about my everyday life. The changes I make range from adding pieces to my wardrobe to wanting to completely change my appearance. I had one of these instances recently. Nothing necessarily sparked my longing for change, but it was such a strong feeling. 

I looked at Pinterest for hair ideas and booked appointments to update my hairstyle and nails. These may seem like small things for others, but these physical alterations have become the highlights of my month. Changing my appearance helps me feel like I have a fresh start, which is especially important right before finals season. 

I immediately feel better after I physically make a change. I feel more productive, refreshed and inspired to complete the tasks on my to-do list. The feeling after a change helps me be in a better mindset ahead of one of the most stressful times of the year. 

While changing my appearance can give me a new perspective, other smaller changes can have the same effect. Going to the gym, making simple changes in eating habits, reorganizing my room or learning something new can also alter the way I see the world to make me feel like I have a clean slate and enough balance between a routine and unpredictable events to keep me on my toes. 

A strong foundation of routine can make us feel stable, but sometimes a little variety sparks a new frame of reference. Change can occur in big and small ways, from refreshing our whole lifestyle to taking a different path to class. Inspiration can be found with a tweak of different aspects of life to keep things interesting.

Adding some variety can be helpful to many of us, even if we feel that we may feel that routine is necessary. From my experiences, I hope that many people can begin to add a little bit of change to their usual routine to possibly add a little more excitement to everyday life. 

Gabby Guzman

Wisconsin '26

Gabby is a current first-year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is majoring in Consumer Behavior and Marketplace Studies and Communications. She is originally from Plymouth, Minnesota, which means she is a die-hard Vikings fan. Her interests include watching sports, spending time with family and friends, and traveling. Gabby is so excited to be welcomed into the Her Campus community and have the opportunity to share her ideas and experiences with everyone!