8 Ways to Practice Self-Care over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The term “spring break” usually evokes images of sandy beaches or wild parties. But for some people, the image of a college town stay-cation comes to mind. Many students try to make the most of their time off by either planning as many activities as possible or catching up on schoolwork. While spring break is great for realizing plans you don’t normally have time for, it’s also the perfect for taking some time for yourself! Here are some great ways to use this spring break as a chance to practice self-care.

1. Binge-watch a new TV show

Spring break is perfect for watching the TV show you keep forgetting about on your Netflix watch list. For the full experience, put on your comfiest pajamas, grab your warmest blanket and make your favorite snack. Feel free to lie down on the couch and stay in that same position for the rest of the night.

2. Read a book

Despite our best attempts, it’s difficult to set aside time to read for pleasure during the year. When you spend all day reading, whether it be for work or school, the last thing you want to do when you get home is to open another book. Over spring break, set aside some time for the book you’ve been meaning to get to. Enjoy the read!

3. Try a new workout

Maybe you’re used to the same exercise routine, or maybe you’re just looking to establish one. Either ways, spring break is great for experimenting with different workouts. Go to the yoga class you always hear about; try out the running trail you always pass on your way home. If you don’t want to go alone, grab a friend to go with you!

4. Plan a night in

Spring break is usually associated with going out; but it’s also a great opportunity to enjoy a low-key night. Invite your friends over for a potluck, and spend the night watching your favorite movies. Bonus points if you build a blanket fort to watch them in!

5. Pamper yourself

Spring break is the best time to swap your to-do list for a pampering. DIY face masks and sugar scrubs are easy, low-cost ways to care for your body; it will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

6. Cook your favorite meal

You might not be the college student who eats ramen noodles for every meal, but your busy schedule definitely makes it difficult to cook. Over spring break, plan a night to make your favorite home-cooked meal, and invite your friends to share it with you!

7. Go see a movie

It’s convenient to watch a movie from the comfort of your own couch (or bed); but, going to the theater turns the experience into something that evokes nostalgia for the days before streaming services and DVR. This spring break, remind yourself of simpler times by seeing a movie in an actual theater. Current movies like Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time have inspiring feminist themes.

8. Treat yo self!

Donna Meagle said it best: “Treat yo self!” Reward yourself for all of the hard work you’ve put into the semester by shopping for a summer outfit or some new makeup! Lower cost items, like laptop stickers or a new water bottle, are also great for giving yourself the treat you deserve.

Yes, spring break can be a time to let off some steam; but, it also provides an opportunity for self-care. It may not seem like it, but finals are right around the corner. So, make sure you take some time this spring break to prepare yourself for finishing the semester strong.