sunday brunch food
sunday brunch food
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

7 Easy and Healthy TikTok Recipes Anyone Can Master

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Moving away from home to attend college comes with a lot of new territory that many may not be familiar with, like doing your own laundry and cooking your own food. Not being able to eat your mom’s home-cooked meals may feel absolutely horrifying to most students, however with the help of the beloved app, TikTok, I have formulated a list of seven extremely simple and healthy recipes that even the most mediocre ‘chef’ can manage.

Avocado Fries

Simply put, fries are delicious. Avocado fries, on the other hand, are just as delicious and have more health benefits than regular fries. The fat-filled superfood is something that everyone can enjoy on a daily basis. This avocado fries recipe will spark happiness in french fry and avocado lovers alike. Simply follow the steps below and be ready to indulge in these delicious and crunchy avocado fries.

How To:

Combine a ½ cup of bread crumbs (Panko are my personal favorite) with a tsp of pepper and however many shakes of parmesan cheese you desire into a medium-sized mixing bowl. 

*I also added some garlic powder to the mix for more flavor 

Next, add one egg into a smaller mixing bowl and whisk until all parts of the egg are thoroughly combined. 

Cut up an avocado into thin slices and begin dipping the slices into the egg followed by your bread crumb and spice mixture.

After all slices have been dipped, stick them in your deep fryer for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Once the 8 minutes are up, put them on a plate and pair them with whatever dipping sauce is your favorite. I decided to make a sriracha ranch mix which I highly recommend!

http://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJDrYMQe/  

Banana Pancakes

If you’re someone who is looking for a sweet breakfast option that you can easily make every day, this is the recipe for you. From preparation to the plate, these banana pancakes are definitely the easiest pancakes I’ve ever made. Yes, I know that boxed mix pancakes are also very simple, but sometimes it feels good to know that the pancakes you’re feasting on every morning have some added health benefits! Packed with nutrient-dense bananas and oats, these pancakes will put any morning grump in a great mood! 

How To: 

Peel and place two ripe bananas into a small bowl and mash with a fork until almost all the chunks are gone. (You could leave some chunks if you want extra banana taste in your pancakes)

Mix in one egg to the mashed bananas 

Place one cup of oats in a blender and blend until the oats are a fine, flour-like texture. 

Pour the oats into the banana and egg mixture and stir until all contents are combined.

I then added some cinnamon, but this isn’t in the original recipe so do as you please! 

Heat up a pan on the stove on low heat and add pancake mixture, flipping once the sides are golden brown.

Once all of your pancakes are done, drizzle some syrup on top and add some extra bananas if you want and you’re ready to enjoy! 

https://www.tiktok.com/@shedissappeared/video/6839376564904365318?lang=en 

Bean and Corn “Crack Dip”

Easy to make, and eat, the beloved “crack dip” includes a variety of veggies and spices that will enhance any (COVID safe!) get-together, or night home chilling with your roommates. Run to your local grocery store, pick up a few low-priced items and get to cooking! 

How To: 

Start by draining a can of black beans and Mexican corn in a strainer and then add them to a large serving bowl.

Cut up some grape tomatoes into fourths and add to the bean and corn mixture. 

De-pit two whole avocados and dice them into bite-sized pieces, adding to your serving bowl once complete. 

Add as much feta cheese as you want, and follow behind with 2 tbsp of salt, some pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Mix all of this together and serve!

https://www.tiktok.com/@quarantinecuisinee/video/6816504991289822469?lang=en 

Charcuterie Toast

This Italian-inspired toast will spice up your weekly meal options. Topped with fresh mozzarella cheese, charcuterie toast is a take on the basic charcuterie board. With this meal, you can purchase basically whatever you want. You could class it up with some more expensive salami or meat of choice, or keep it inexpensive with tomatoes and cheese. Whichever way you decide to create this meal, it is bound to be delicious! 

How To:

Slice French bread and place in the toaster oven to crisp it up.

Slice up one whole tomato (or half, depending on how many slices of bread you’re eating) and place the slices, and a pinch of salt, into a blender. Blend until it resembles tomato sauce.

Take the French bread out of the toaster oven and rub a peeled clove of garlic over all the slices. 

Then spread the tomato sauce onto your slices and add all the toppings that you want. 

I added sliced mozzarella, salami, basil and balsamic vinegar to the top of mine!

http://www.tiktok.com/@lindseyeatsla/video/6873623744447876357?lang=en 

Apple Nachos

If you’re tired of eating plain apples this recipe will do the trick. Apple nachos are not only tasty and healthy but also allow for creativity. You can add whatever you want to your apple nachos, from peanut butter to honey, Nutella, or even chocolate! Take some pointers from the “How To” below, but then get creative and add whatever you want!

How To:

Slice up one apple and spread pieces around on a plate. 

Scoop some peanut butter into a small bowl and heat up in the microwave for 45 seconds. Then pour the melted peanut butter on your apple slices.

Next, take some granola (I used chia seeds) and top your nachos with some crunch.

Finally, garnish with some cinnamon and honey and enjoy! 

http://www.tiktok.com/@han.jarr/video/6842313213032336645?lang=en

Pesto Mozzarella Snack Wrap

This snack wrap can be good for a quick on-the-go lunch, or something you could make for all of your roommates for an easy dinner! Similar to the other recipes I’ve listed above, you can really add any other extra toppings! This wrap was definitely a hit in my apartment and I highly recommend it for any time you’re feeling lazy but don’t want to eat junk food.

How To:

Grab a tortilla and spread pesto all over on one side.

Then cut up some tomatoes and place the slices on top of the pesto.

Add some shredded cheese, or fresh mozzarella pieces, on top of the tomatoes and garnish with salt and pepper.

Fold the tortilla in half (or fourths) and place it in your toaster or toaster oven. Watch until you get your desired crunchiness and serve! 

http://www.tiktok.com/@tastyhealthy_recipes/video/6834222408149273862?lang=en

Cauliflower Wings

This is my new go-to when I’m craving Buffalo Wild Wings! Cauliflower wings are the perfect healthy substitute for anyone who needs a wing fix, and is a great option for vegetarians! Once you’ve cooked your cauliflower you can toss them in whatever sauce you desire or just dip! This is one of my favorites from the list, because it doesn’t require much effort to make, and it’s a healthy alternative to my guilty pleasures, wings! 

How To:

Chop off the head of the cauliflower from the stem and separate into bite-sized pieces. 

In a medium mixing bowl combine ¾ cup of flour, 1 tsp of paprika, ½ tsp of pepper, 2 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp of salt. Stir ingredients until they are completely combined. 

Next, add one cup of dairy-free milk to your medium mixing bowl and mix until the flour/spice mixture is combined with the milk. 

Finally, dip your cauliflower into your batter mixture, place them in your oven, or air fryer and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. 

Once done cooking, toss your wings in whatever sauce you want, or simply dip them and enjoy! 

http://www.tiktok.com/@gabydimova/video/6803739470375013638?lang=en 

TikTok entertains all of us for longer in a day than we probably would like, however, there is some information on the app that may come in handy. These healthy and simple recipes can be achieved by anyone and allow individuals to maintain a well-balanced diet. After reading through my list, pick a couple of recipes that seem tasty to you and try them out! You’ll probably end up watching a lot of other TikToks that are related to these ones, so once you’ve tried these out go ahead and try out some new recipes! Cooking in college shouldn’t be stressful, since everything else we are going through right now is, so hopefully, this list can inspire some of you to put on your chef hat, break out the air fryer and get cooking! 

Abby Winterburn is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison intending to major in Journalism. Upon acceptance into the J-School, she will be working towards a degree in Strategic Communication with a certificate in Digital Studies. On her free time she likes to hang around with friends, visit local coffee shops, and listen to her favorite band Mumford and Sons.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!