This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all know what it’s like to wake up and already feel as if we have no energy to get us through the day. Maybe you were up late studying, bingeing your favorite Netflix series, napped too much throughout the day to fall asleep at a reasonable time or simply feel in a slum during these gray winter days. Here are a few tips on how to start the day right, and keep up the energy until it’s time to hit your REM sleep cycles:

1. Start your day early with a workout!

Waking up early can be tough, and deciding whether or not to work out can be even tougher (trust me, it takes about two minutes to convince myself to skip my workout). You just simply have to hear your alarm as a signal to jump out of bed… no second guessing it. Getting up early and raising your heart rate gets your metabolism going, so you burn more calories throughout your day.

2. Think of your class schedule as a workday.

Visualize your day of classes like a full day of work: avoid cell phone use, try not to nap (you’ll only wake up more tired than before) and minimize time spent distracted in between classes. The more time you spend completely focused on work, the more time you will have in the evenings or weekends to have completely free for relaxing. We all stay busy with a full schedule, but remaining hyper-focused as much as possible may give you some more free time than you initially thought you had.

3. Give yourself some time to recharge.

Whether it’s a yoga class, using your latest face mask, catching up on your favorite TV series, or reading a new book, try to block off some “me time” each day. Even if it’s only for 15 minutes, it’s important to have some calm moments to reflect on your day and ease your mind of any stress.

4. Get to sleep on time for a full night’s rest.

Maybe you’re the type of person that likes studying late, or maybe you find it difficult to stop scrolling through Instagram at night — I’m guilty too! — but try and choose a time each night to put down what you’re doing, and get a full night’s sleep. Your body needs time to recharge, and your mind needs time to process all the information you took in from the day. So whatever your schedule may be, try getting in a full eight hours of sleep… okay minimum of seven, if you have to!

5. Stick to healthy foods!

What you eat can have a huge effect on your energy levels and mood. Put good foods into your body, and your body will thank you with releasing good, positive energy! Keeping a healthy diet at college can historically be a challenge (the term “Freshman 10” dates back to a 1981 New York Times article), but once you take the time to actively consider what you’re consuming on a daily basis, it’s fairly easy to get used to a healthier lifestyle. Focus on consuming veggies, sustainable protein (chicken, greek yogurt, hummus, etc.), good carbs (brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc.), and healthier fruits (apples, strawberries, blueberries, etc.). Bottom line, avoid processed foods and be mindful with how much you’re consuming.

Introducing these healthy lifestyle changes can prove to be difficult at first, but once your body and mind get on a healthy rhythm, you’ll feel more productive and energized than ever! Make motivation boards on Pinterest, recruit a friend to make healthy changes with you and keep each other in check, or use apps to help track your workouts, sleep cycles and sustainable meals. Figure out what works best for you, and have fun with it!

Anna Sumpter

Wisconsin '20

Anna is studying Operations Technology Management and Marketing, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. When not studying, she can be found with kombucha in hand, practicing yoga and staying involved with many organizations. She also loves traveling to new places and hanging out with friends and family.