5 Thoughts We All Have While Walking Up Bascom Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Are you tired of walking up Bascom Hill? Do you nearly die every time you have to walk all the way up the hill? Well, thankfully you aren’t the only one. As UW students we all have to make the treacherous walk up Bascom Hill at least once in our Badger lifetime. These gifs will give you the feels as they describe how we all feel when we have to walk up Bascom.

1. Denial

Denial is the first part of every student’s journey up Bascom. We begin at the bottom of the hill and look up, thinking that there is no way we are going to be able to walk up that. Our minds start to calculate whether we can skip the class that requires us to walk up the monster hill.

2. Determination

Determination is the next thought. Once we’ve decided that we have to go to class and walk up the hill, we get a surge of encouragement. We tell ourselves that we are going to conquer Bascom and that we will stop at nothing until we are at the top of the hill!

3. Disbelief

Then comes disbelief. We know there is no way we’ll ever make it to the top, I mean, we’re not even halfway up this hill! Our determination is long gone; we lost that within the first minute of walking, and now we are slowly regretting our decision as we realize that it is way longer than we thought.

4. Giving up

Next, we want to give up. Can’t we stop right here, go back down the hill and never do this again? We contemplate if it would be weird to stop halfway, sit down and just not go to class.

5. Joy

Finally, we have made it! Despite all the hardship and the multiple times we wanted to give up, we conquered Bascom Hill! Now we go, sweating and out of breath to our class, but feeling like queens because we made it!

Regardless of how hard the trek up Bascom may seem, don’t feel alone because every UW student has to encounter the strenuous walk up there. Hopefully, these gifs give you a bit of humor and motivation to take on Bascom the next time you have to walk up it!

Sofia Drotts

Wisconsin '22

My name is Sofia Drotts, I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I intend to major in Psychology with a concentration in criminal justice. I speak Spanish and I am from the city of Chicago. My interests include photography, writing, reading and listening to music.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!