This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In this crazy time, I think it’s safe to say that we are all seeking some connection. Without being able to see our friends and family, or go to class regularly, the college life can feel a bit isolating. That’s why, when Her Campus reached out with an opportunity to collaborate with Hallmark and their Good Mail Collection, I jumped at the chance. Not only did it give me a new way to spend some time, it also reminded me that sometimes it’s nice to put the screens away. I sent five letters to some fellow Her Campus members over at HC Montclair, and this is what I learned.

Sending a Card is Heartfelt

Even in the midst of the pandemic, we have tons of ways to reach out to other people. You can message them on any number of social media platforms, text them, or even give them a call. But one form of communication we forget about sometimes is card writing! It is a great way to do something personal and heartfelt for someone you care about. Sending a card will put a smile on someone’s face, and it gives them something to hold on to!

Sending a Card is Intentional

First Imagejpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

There’s something about putting pen to paper that really makes you think. Your words last longer on a Hallmark card, and it helps you realize what you really want to say! Maybe you’re connecting with someone new, and have to introduce yourself, or maybe you’re rehashing some of your favorite memories. Writing a card helps you see your own world through your words, and that can be a really beautiful thing.

You’ll Feel Happy When You Send a Card

When I finished writing my cards, I felt happy and like I had done something nice for another person. I absolutely love giving gifts, and sending someone a card is like a mini gift in an envelope! You know it will bring a smile to their face, and that realization can brighten your own day too! Plus, sending a card might just inspire someone to write you back. It can be a really thoughtful exchange that gives you something to look forward to.

Sending a Card is Easy

Does anyone else have a beautiful set of stationary that they have left unused for too long? I know I do, but this week has helped me realize that writing a nice, handwritten letter takes just a few minutes! And, writing a card gives you a chance to support the USPS, another benefit. They will have your card wherever it needs to be in just a few days, making it easier than ever to connect with someone through cards.

We Need More Cards in the World

Life over the past few months has been stressful, uncertain, and oftentimes uncomfortable. Writing a letter can be a retreat from that world, and a way to dive into your relationship with someone. It helps you remember that people are what’s important, and putting in the work to make friendships, family relationships, and romantic relationships work is worth it. Cards a time capsule of your relationship with someone at a specific moment in time: what you decided to share, what was on your mind, and how you chose to speak about it. Sending someone a card is, at the end of the day, a way to show them you care.

Okay, so maybe I’m a bit sentimental about writing letters. But, right now, we all need ways to connect with each other. Sending a Hallmark card is the perfect way to show that the small things in life can make a big difference. They help us live in the moment and really pay attention to what the world looks like through our own eyes. So, when you’re looking for something to do on yet another WFH day, pick up a Hallmark card and start writing.

Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.