This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whenever spring semester rolls around, you’ll find that a lot of your friends are studying abroad in the coolest countries — talk about some serious FOMO (fear of missing out)! Back here in good old Wisconsin though, all we are left with are our friends’ beautiful pictures. And if we’re being honest, they make us wish we went abroad ourselves. But, there are some ways to cope with your FOMO!

1. Send Postcards

Send your friend a sheet of international stamps so they can send you postcards from their cool trips (you can buy them at any post office). You can reply back with your own postcard highlighting the happenings on campus. It’s a great way for you to keep in touch with your friends and to remind them of what they’ll be returning to when they get back.

2. Visit them over spring break

Plan your own mini study abroad trip! Check out Expedia, Skyscanner, Student Universe, etc. for some great prices on flights. Your friends would love showing you around their new home and having visitors that remind them of their roots. You may even fall in love with the city your friend is staying in; maybe you’ll feel inspired to study abroad yourself! It will definitely be a spring break to remember!

3. Facetime or Skype regularly

Plan out weekly video chats with your friend so they can fill you in on all the cool things they are doing. You can catch them up with what’s going on in your life, too! Your friend will appreciate seeing a familiar face that reminds them of home.

4. Go on your own study abroad trip in the summer  

If you can’t study abroad in the spring, check out the amazing summer programs UW and other schools offer! Don’t let the cost intimidate you, there are scholarships available! You won’t regret spending your summer in a different country.

Although these ideas may help with your FOMO, you may still feel left out sometimes — who wouldn’t? Just enjoy all the beautiful pictures and videos you get to see because of your friends, and live vicariously through them.

I'm a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Journalism and getting a certificate in Digital Studies. After college I hope to work in public relations. I love to write fun, inspiring articles for the Madison campus.