Wellness > Health

4 Skin Care Products for the College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I have struggled with my skin my whole life; I began seeing a dermatologist when I was in 4th grade. I have been on countless antibiotics, creams and even Accutane. However, my skin issues still persist into college. Adult acne is a real struggle. 

The following brands are some of my personal favorites, because their quality doesn’t lack regardless of the price fitting a college student’s budget. 

The Ordinary

I discovered this from the r/skincareaddiction Reddit page when I was a freshman. The day that it was featured in ULTA stores, I screamed. I love this brand because all the items are under $15. Not only do their products work — their customer service is also excellent. Email them with some photos and they will give you a skincare routine with their products. 

Favorite Product: AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution

This face mask is a 10-minute chemical exfoliant that is perfect for the on-the-go college student. 

Differin

As previously mentioned, I have been on prescription creams. This is a prescription cream that is now over the counter and made of vitamin A, which helps your skin cell turnover. It will make your skin cells turn over in 14 days instead of the typical 30. Be careful with this product, and make sure you have sunscreen as your skin will be more sensitive when using this product. As a college student, most cannot afford the prescription creams from the dermatologist any more — and this is a perfect alternative!

Vaseline

I discovered how amazing this product was when I was on Accutane. Accutane dries up your skin, so Vaseline was a necessity when I was on it. Nowadays, I appreciate using it as lip balm or an under-eye cream. Vaseline is a humectant and typically non-pore clogging for the skin. It keeps all that moisture from your moisturizer overnight on the face. 

Favorite Product: Mini Tube

I love throwing these in my backpack for all of my lip balm needs throughout the day. 

CeraVe

This has been my STAPLE since I was a pre-teen. All of their products are typically under $20 and ideal for sensitive skin, and I can attest that all of these products have been perfect for my skin. It really is a must-need. The staples of skincare are a cleanser and moisturizer, and this brand has always been my go-to for both. 

Favorite Product: Hydrating Facial Cleanser 

This is perfect for after taking off your makeup because of the hyaluronic acid and niacinamide.  

I personally use all of these products to help my skin and help my wallet. Not only that, but they are also accessible; it can be difficult to shop for your skin while on campus if you do not own a car. The Ordinary is a necessary pick up during that rare trip to the mall, but the rest of these products can be found at any drug store! I believe that all of these can add something to your current routine or start a better one today. 

Emily is a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying Journalism with an emphasis in strategic communications. In her spare time, she loves taking photos, listening to podcasts, and going to art museums around campus. Find her on Instagram instagram.com/emily.ravet!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.