Wellness

3 Mindfulness Activities To Get You Through a Creativity Rut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

No matter what kind of artist you are, I can guarantee that you have had a momentary lapse in inspiration. This lack of motivation and feeling of emptiness can be overwhelmingly depressing, and, quite frankly, translate into your school work and mental health. As artists, of course we draw inspiration from other people, but the best way to reconnect with your inner artist is to spend time reconnecting with your mind and body. Whether you are a musician, painter, filmmaker, writer or poet, here are some tips on how to use mindfulness and meditation in order to spark your creativity. (The key aspects of making these ideas work are to fully immerse yourself in them and do them by yourself.)

Bathing Meditation

Okay, this sounds weird, BUT HEAR ME OUT! My go-to mindfulness meditations somehow always relate to a mindful bathing experience. I tend to opt for a mindful bath, since my apartment offers this luxury, but I have also done mindful showers. You can look up a guided meditation, play peaceful music, or simply enjoy the silence, but no matter what you choose to do, make your atmosphere relaxing. I diffuse eucalyptus essential oil for stress relief, use my favorite bubble bath, prepare fuzzy towels and a bathrobe, and always bring out my most luxurious soap. When you quiet your mind and focus on the beauty in the everyday act of washing yourself, you are able to remind yourself of who you are, where you want to be, and what you want to create. I often have my deepest thoughts and feel most connected to my soul when I am intentionally treating my body with the care it deserves. Even if you don’t have a burst of inspiration within your meditation, I promise you will still take something powerful out if it. This meditation will bring you to a state of unparalleled zen, reflection and connectedness.

Nature Reflection

Ugh. Nature. This one is a game changer. Taking a mindful walk in nature always fills me with a similar yet different sense of connectedness; while the bathing meditation helps me connect with myself, a simple nature meditation reminds me of the infinite interconnectivity between all living things. From the gorgeous blooming flowers in spring to the devastatingly heartbreaking dying flowers in winter, taking time to notice and appreciate the nature around us is essential as artists. I mean, how are we supposed to make relatable and timely art if we do not immerse ourselves in it and attempt to understand it? Don’t be afraid to participate in a winter meditation! You can make your walk to classes your nature meditation or stop in the garden outside of Chamberlain Hall. The opportunities to appreciate the complexity of nature are endless…even in Madison. You just have to be willing and eager to seek them out.

Music Meditation

If you are a music fanatic like me, then use your love for music purposely! Search through Spotify (or whatever listening platform you use) to find new music. Make a playlist of songs that make you feel some type of way, and then play them! I recently felt so uninspired that I forced myself to paint while listening to Harry Styles, MGMT, and Tame Impala. Soon enough, I had painted each song into its own planet. Even though I consider myself a writer rather than a painter, I was able to use my painting as a starting point for a poem that completely captured my feelings during my creativity rut and eventually inspired me to write this article. Music can articulate emotions and ideas that words seemingly never can. I use music to escape my own overthinking and just do something!

As to not bombard you with too many ideas, I will stop here. But remember: you can make any activity a mindful meditation by simply acting with intent and purpose. Slow yourself down, quiet your mind, connect. There is another world out there for those of us who choose to see it.

Sarah McLeod

Wisconsin '22

Sarah is currently studying English, Psychology and Gender & Women's studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin born and raised, she loves reading, coffee and spending time with her friends and family.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.