stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Dorm-Friendly Ways to Cultivate Healthy Eating Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The first thing every new college student hears about is the “Freshman 15” curse. People have long used the term to describe the combined result of poor eating habits, excessive consumption of alcohol and lack of exercise. This trifecta seems to be the hallmark of the first year experience. I, however, do not think the “freshman 15” is as common as it is made out to be; you just have to be a little bit more conscious about your lifestyle. Healthy eating is much simpler than it sounds; while the time, space and financial constraints of college life creates a few challenges, it is nowhere near impossible to achieve.

1. Load up the protein.

Most people believe that protein is one of the most difficult types of food to keep in the dorm; this may be true if meat is your primary protein source. Dorm fridges — especially those provided by the university — don’t always have reliable temperature control. Plus, storing meat can take up a lot of space in an itty-bitty fridge. But, there are a few dorm-friendly protein alternatives.

Beans are packed with protein, and they are easy to store and prepare. Before you claim you don’t like beans, make sure you’ve tried different varieties. Black, kidney, garbanzo, lentils, white, etc. all come in cans of about two servings. Eggs, too, are easy to prepare; it makes for what is in my opinion the most delicious protein-packed breakfast, lunch and dinner. Scramble them in a pan, or crack them into water and microwave them to perfection. For the sake of space, go for the half-dozen packs.

2. Gotta get them veggies.

The biggest problem I found with dining hall services is the availability (or lack thereof!) of fresh fruits and vegetables. Some places offer fruit cocktail or mushy lettuce as produce; others just don’t have anything at all. While canned beans are convenient, I do not recommend turning to canned fruits and vegetables. They are not necessarily bad, but they can often come with “surprises,” such as added sugars or salt.

The key to keeping fruits and vegetables in the dorm is preservation. Fruits and vegetables that spoil quickly or easily require way too much maintenance. I’ve found that the easiest fruits to keep are ones that have their own “cases.” Apples, clementines and bananas stay good for a week, and they all offer a number of nutrients. Apples and clementines last even longer if you have to space to keep them refrigerated.

Frozen is the way to go for vegetables. They can sit in your freezer for weeks and stay just as fresh after cooking. Plus, you can cook most veggies right in the bag; it will only take about five minutes. Vegetables such as green beans, broccoli and peas are my favorite to add to eggs, black beans or quinoa. Add them all together, if you prefer.

3. Stress-eating is a very real thing; keep track of your snack intakes.

Snacking can easily make or break healthy eating habits. What do you reach for when you start a movie? Between classes? After a hard day? There’s a reason some foods are comfort food. Let’s face it, college is hard; and if reaching for a Snickers bar makes you feel a little less stressed out, you’re going to do it. How long does that feeling last, though? Snacking is great — it really is. Our bodies are meant to be continually fueled throughout the day; but, snacks are also the hardest food intake to monitor because we’re usually not just eating; we’re usually walking between classes, taking notes or watching TV when we’re snacking. 

Simple solution: don’t keep unhealthy snacks in your dorm. The more accessible those snacks are, the more likely you’re going take advantage of that access. It’s okay to eat potato chips or candy occasionally; but keeping them in your dorm can turn an occasional treat into a mindless binge.

Now, onto the good stuff. Whether you like sweet or salty snacks, there are healthy options for both. Nuts are a great source of protein, and they satisfy both crunchy and salty cravings. But, they’re also very high in caloric content; watch out for serving sizes and added sugar, especially in trail mixes. One of my favorite movie snacks is chips and salsa. But if you want to try something new, swap tortilla chips for bean chips. They taste almost exactly the same — better, if you ask me — as tortilla chips, but have more complex carbohydrates than flour chips. Sweet cravings are a little more difficult; I’d recommend sugar-free dried fruit or whole fruits.

Bottom line is, there are no excuses for unhealthy eating habits in college. No matter your dining hall option or space availability, there are many options that not only help you enjoy food but also save you some time and money. Keep eating your veggies, friends!

Allie Helein

Wisconsin '21

Sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Dietetics and Psychology