Woman Crush Wednesday: Lizzie Velásquez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I was taking my nightly scroll through Facebook as I do every night, and I came across a video headlined “The Ugliest Woman in the World.” Immediately, I was stopped in my tracks–what the heck kind of people am I friends with? Sharing an article and calling someone not just ugly, but the “ugliest woman in the world”? 

I clicked play and realized that it wasn’t trashing or hating this woman, but it was almost giving a middle finger and a big “screw you” to all of the people in the world who had called her ugly in the past…heck ya. Fight the power, f*ck the haters. This is the video: 

After watching, I decided to do my research because let’s be honest–Lizzie is amazing. During my research I found out that she’s an author and a motivational speaker, something she decided she wanted to do after “relentless bullying in her childhood.” She speaks at events and at schools and makes YouTube videos telling and empowering women everywhere to embrace your beauty and to not be ashamed of who you are.

Lizzie also has written a book “directed at teenagers” called Be Beautiful, Be You which is pretty much a ‘how-to’ on how to deal with haters and it also gives lessons and offers advice to those struggling with their self-confidence. 

Lizzie is an amazing woman who even through her many medical problems, (such as Marfan Syndrome, Progeria and another rare congenital disease) powers through and stays true to herself. She is the perfect example of who we all should be, every single day of our lives. 

Stay beautiful and amazing, Collegiettes. 

If you want to watch Lizzie’s YouTube videos, click here!

If you want to follow Lizzie on Instagram, click here!

If you want to follow Lizzie on Twitter, click here!

If you want to buy Lizzie’s book, click here! 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy