This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Do you ever pace back and forth in your room, dreading the walk to class, a club meeting, or anything that involves being social?

How about when you’re sitting in Starbucks, and you can see someone coming over to say hi? As they’re walking your heart starts beating extremely fast, and before you even realize it, you’re running out of breath. If you have ever felt that way or have gotten nervous from being around groups of people. Please know you are not alone.

For me, my social anxiety is due to the fact I am scared of coming off a certain way to people. I am scared of being judged, and I’m scared of giving off the wrong impression of who I am.

Written below are 4 tips on how to handle social anxiety. 

1. Get out of your comfort zone – I know this tip is ironic. Usually you stay in your comfort zone to avoid sparking social anxiety. However, staying in the same place doesn’t help you grow as a person. Putting yourself in situations that are out of the norm for you is one of the best ways to help you grow. Also practice going to places and being around people can help you learn how to control your anxiety!

2. Think positively – Having a good mindset can create a big difference in having a bad or good day. When you wake up in the morning, try saying three things that you love about yourself in the mirror. Having those positive thoughts in your head, can boost your self-confidence throughout the day. Boosting your self-confidence will make you feel more secure in who you are while caring less about how others perceive you.

3. Seek Counseling – If you find your anxiety getting to the point of skipping class or having panic attacks when you leave your room, seek a safe zone outlet – maybe try seeing a counselor. A counselor will listen to you and not judge who you are or the emotions you’re feeling.

4. Remember you are human, don’t over analyze – You are human and nobody is perfect. Don’t over analyze every little thing you, or other people, say. If you get stuck on how to have a conversation, just remember that the person you’re talking to might be struggling as well. If you’re getting nervous, remember it is okay, you are not abnormal, and you are a person like everybody else. 

At the end of the day, Collegiettes, just remember that everyone experiences social anxiety from time to time, and you are not alone!

“Negativity. It can only affect you if you’re on the same frequency. Vibrate higher.”  Hello Lovely Readers, thank you so much for reading my stories and giving me such positive energy to express my passions through my writing. My name is Jess and I am currently studying at Winthrop University as a Mass Communications Major with a minor in Psychology. I am driven to use my voice to share my personal experiences, and speak out for others. Fun facts, I am a yoga loving, spiritual, poetic, blunt, sassy, Scorpio and a very big feminist. I am all about fighting for equality, and loving each other. If you want to follow me on Instagram please do, at itsajess97. Thank you so much for reading my articles! ~Namaste 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.