nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Life After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Graduating college is a big frickin’ deal.  It’s not just starting a new chapter; it’s cracking open a new book.  Graduating and getting a job often comes with moving to a new place too.  Here are some tips to get integrated into your new location and save money along the way.

Find old hobbies in your new place

If you have a hobby you enjoyed in a your previous town, city, or college, look for a new community based on that hobby in your new location.

See what the local library is offering

Most libraries have super cool programs and opportunities to utilize.  For example, the Greenville Library offers a range of programs including writing groups, photography and drawing classes, dancing classes, a 3D printing class, computer instructions, crafts, and money saving seminars.

Check out volunteer opportunities

Volunteering in your new location is a great way to learn your way around, find out what’s going on, and and meet new people.

Find parks near you

Most places have at least two or three nice parks to enjoy.  Visit each of them, meet some people, and be sure to check first to see if the parks are pet friendly.

Get a gym membership and really utilize it

For prime money saving, plan your schedule around what you gym offers.  Figure out when your favorite show is on and work out then.  Bring your laptop and do work at in their lounge area.  Bring your shower supplies and shower there to save on your water and energy bills.  Bring your favorite coffee creamer and drink their cheap coffee.

Emily Grace Gill is a senior mass communication major with minors in business and theater. When she's not thinking about writing or traveling, she is befriending every dog she sees on campus.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.