harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stages of Missing an Online Exam as Told by GIFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As finals roll around, it can be hard to keep up with all of your classes in between studying, last minute projects, and other things you may have going on. Online classes can be especially hard to remember the deadlines for when you’re frantically worrying about all of your other classes. Whether you accidentally missed an exam during the semester or you missed a final during finals week, here are a set of GIFs to describe how you probably felt. 

1. The initial realization that you missed your exam

No one misses an exam on purpose (well, hopefully). Whenever you come to the realization that you missed your exam, you’re sure to be in for a big shock, or even a full-blown panic attack. 

2. Frantically emailing your professor begging them to reopen the exam

If you missed your exam, there had to be a reason, whether it’s a good one or not. The next step after realizing you missed your exam is usually frantically emailing your teacher your excuse (or one that you made up) and begging them to allow you to make it up. 

3. Constantly refreshing your email waiting for their response

Once you’ve sent your professor an email, you’ll likely refresh your email about 1,000 times waiting for your professor to respond. Maybe they’ve sent it now? How about now? Still no?

4. Realizing they aren’t going to respond right away and letting the panic set in further

Your professor likely won’t respond to your email very quickly, allowing your anxiety to get the best of you. Will they let you retake it? Can you still pass the class if you don’t? You’ll likely be panicking pretty hard waiting for their response. 

5. Seeing their response show up in your inbox

You’ll likely be pretty nervous when you see their email pop up in your inbox. It’s the moment of truth: will they let you make it up or not? Your grade could depend on what that email says.

6a. Reading the response and learning that they’ll let you retake it

If your professor responds saying you can make up the exam, you’ll most likely give out a big sigh of relief. Now that you’ve all about given yourself a heart attack, you can finally calm down. 

6b. Reading their response and realizing they won’t let you make it up

You’ll most likely be upset when you find out you can’t make up your missed exam. Try not to take it personally, and see if there’s anything else you can do to save your grade. Some professors just won’t allow makeup exams.

7. Realizing you still need to study for the final you missed

You were probably too busy worrying about whether or not you could make up the final to worry about studying for it. You’ll most likely try to cram study all the information you can until it’s time to take the exam. 

8. Getting done with the exam

Once you take the exam, you’ll probably feel very relieved and happy. Whatever you made on the exam, it has to be better than a zero. You were able to make the best out of a bad situation. 

Missing an exam happens, and it’s not the end of the world if it does. Just remember to breathe, and try to do whatever you can to fix the problem. Good luck studying, Collegiettes, and try not to miss any exams! 

Molly Murphy

Winthrop '19

21-year-old business student at Winthrop University with a passion for fashion.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.