A Quick Guide to Authentic Mexican Dishes

In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, here is a small sample of Mexico’s best (and my favorite) dishes.

Authentic Tacos

Mexican tacos are heavenly gifts to the world.  A corn tortilla, some spicy salsa, cilantro, chopped onions, and your choice of meat is all it takes.  The filling options are endless: al pastor, asada, carnitas, lengua, suadero, chorizo, chicharrón, you name it!

Mole

Mole is a gorgeous blend of spicy and sweet.  It finds its origins in Puebla, Mexico. When the spices and aromatics blend together and produce a paste, it can be served on rice, chicken, and accompanied by ajonjoli.

Huaraches

Huarache in English means “sandal.”  It’s a fitting name because huaraches are usually the length of a sandal.  I may be biased, but my mother makes the best huaraches. She makes them with green salsa, nopales, flank steak, lettuce, queso fresco, and sour cream.  This is a must-try dish and highly recommended.

Tamales

Like other Mexican dishes, tamales are diverse.  They are made with corn masa and wrapped in corn husks.  Not only that, but their fillings range from savory to sweet.  From chiles and cheese to raisins, tamales are my go-to breakfast treat.  Some of my fondest memories of living in Mexico are the morning trips to the local bakery to pick up my daily tamale.

So, Collegiettes, broaden your horizons and expand to the authentic side of Mexican food.  It’s worth it. Provecho!